[Reader-list] Fwd: [pudr-info] Press Statement: PUDR strongly condemns the unconstitutional and undemocratic act of the Central Government in detaining Anna Hazare and his supporters

Nagraj Adve nagraj.adve at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:51:05 IST 2011

Tara Prakash, the current focus on corruption - hugely significant as it is
- misses the wood for the trees a bit. What's much worse than corruption is
conscious govt policy that screws ordinary people's lives - to mention a few
examples offhand, what's happening to Indian agriculture; opening out mining
to large private corporates; the decline in rural extension services, and
rural banking, in Delhi the handing over of large charitable hospitals to
private corporates; the privatization of water, etc.
Corruption has a part in some though not all of this, but it merely the oil
in the machinery. Far worse is the machinery itself.
Naga