[Reader-list] pause 2: in times of conflict

francesca recchia kiccovich at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 12:44:31 IST 2011

for those of you who are in Bangalore

>PAUSE -
IN TIMES OF CONFLICT
>maraa presents PAUSE: in times of conflict, a forum for reflection on creative practices in countries of conflict. This will be a monthly series, where we intend to pause to note different creative practices across the world. Last month we paused at Palestine, this month we will pause at Iraqi Kurdistan with Place and Memory: a talk by Francesca Recchia. The talk examines the role that Amna Souraka, the Museum of War Crimes in Northern Iraq, plays in the construction of contemporary Kurdish identity. The building that now hosts the museum was one of the security jails where Saddam Hussein detained, tortured and killed Kurdish political prisoners. The setting up of the space evokes – almost literally – the tragedy of the ethnic prosecutions during the 1980s. Reflecting on the work of Giorgio Agamben and Walter Benjamin, the discussion touches upon the intersections between spaces of exception and places of memory. The elaboration of the
 Museum of War Crimes as a public place of shared memories and identity is a memento that aims at rescuing the redemptive power of the past. Amna Suraka, as the place of memory, warns us of the consequences of the cruelty of History and through this reminder, produces a spring of hope that can still possibly shape the future.
>About the speaker:
>Francesca Recchia currently consults with maraa on the Arts Programme: Spaces for Diverse Publics. She is also an independent researcher and lecturer, who has worked in several different countries: Iraq, India, Afghanistan, Holland, Italy, Sweden, Pakistan, Palestine among others. She is mainly interested in the relations between social and creative practices, cultural identities and transformation of places. Her work focuses on the geo-political dimension of cultural processes and mainly deals with the connections between power, space design and social conflicts. Her approach is constructed on a strong interdisciplinary ground intersecting the fields of Social, Post colonial, Visual and Urban Studies. She has been a Post- Doctoral Research Fellow at the Bartlett School of Planning, University College of London, holds a PhD in Cultural Studies at the Oriental Institute in Naples and a MA in Visual Cultures at Goldsmiths College, University of London.
 Her publications include ‘Within the Circle of Fear. Field notes from Iraqi Kurdistan’ in Sarai Reader 08: Fear; ‘Memory and Place. Perspectives from Iraqi Kurdistan’ in Third Text Asia and ‘Radical Territories of Affection” in Art and Activism in the Age of Globalization.