[Reader-list] Condemn physical assault on Woman activist of Gujarat

asit das asit1917 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 14:59:47 IST 2011

*CONDEMN THIS PHYSICAL ASSAULT ON WOMAN ACTIVIST OF GUJARAT EXPOSE THE
WOLVES IN SHEEPS CLOTHING:*

* *

*DETECT, ISOLATE AND ELIMINATE FLY BY NIGHT OPERATORS FROM SOCIAL MOVEMENTS.
*

Dear Friends and Comrades

I am attaching a letter from Shehnaz of save Irom Sharmilla Yatra who was
physically attacked and abused in filthy language including very demeaning
character assassination by another male activist. This is quite shocking.
In the neoliberal era where the democratic space is shrinking violence on
women and state repression on mass movements are increasing such attacks on
woman activists are quite disgusting. What is more outrageous is that after
physically attacking her, the concerned male activist boasted that even if
she complains nothing will happen to him because he is powerful and knows
every activist of this country. How is this qualitatively different from
the Congress, BJP, SP, BSP and other political goons who attack, rape and
murder women and get away because of their political connections. The
social movement who speak about alternatives should also have alternative
value systems. It is high time we expose such anti-women racketeers who
cultivate God fathers and God mothers in social movements, collect money
from different institutions and individuals to enhance their career in
social movements.

I request all the women’s, progressive and democratic organization and
individuals to condemn this incident and demand exemplary punishment of the
culprit.

I also request all the woman activists who are fasting for save Irom
Sharmilla Campaign to demand action against of the culprit and his ouster
from the campaign.

Regards

Asit

Note: I am also attaching a letter written by me to Faisal Khan who is one
of the organizers of the Irom Sharmilla Yatra and copied to, Medha Patkar,
Sandip Pandey, Shabnam Hashmi, Ravinetesh, Shah Alam, Arundhati Dhuru,
Shehnaz and Gurfran.

*I WANT JUSTICE*

Dear Friends

With deep pain and anxiety I am writing this to you all which has made me
totally disillusioned about social Activism. You all have must heard about
the save Irom Sharmilla campaign Yatra from Shrinagar to Imphal and then
from Ahmedabad to Shrinagar in the second phase, I participated in both
phases but due to a very inhuman shocking incident I was forced to
discontinue from Raipur in the second phase. This incident also gave an
insight how woman activists are used and abused in social movements.

Before the Yatra started one of the Organizers of the save Irom Sharmilla
Yatra requested me to join because some women activist from Gujarat should
be in the Yatra, I with my three woman friends joined the Yatra in the
1st phase
from Shrinagar to Imphal. Then he sent me mails and made phone calls to me
to join the second phase from 23rd November starting From Ahmedabad,
requested me to organise the inauguration at Ahmedabad and conform his
unreserved tickets which I did. I joined the Yatra and four of us including
Suresh Bhai. Mr Balwant Yadav, Faisal and I took the train from Ahmedabad
to Mumbai, I was the only woman in the team. After Hyderabad programme was
over we went to Hyderabad railway station to take the train to Cuttack,
Odisha.

Then this most inhuman sexist incident happened. Since all my money was
over I burrowed some money from Balwant Yadav and told him that I will
return the money when I draw it from ATM. Then Faisal Khan arrived he
started abusing in a filthy language why did I take money, I also shouted
back and told him I am discontinuing my journey and returning to Ahmedabad.
Then he physically attacked me snatched away my ring and purse. He also
took my baggage such that I could not go to Ahmedabad. He was using very
foul and filthy, extremely sexist language, and also told me I had an
affair with a Male activist, in the station he was loudly casting aspersion
on my character.

When I told everyone that I am going to the police station to lodge an FIR,
Suresh Bhai requested me not to do it. When I told Faisal that I am going
to complain he arrogantly told me with shameless impunity that he knows
everyone in this country and nothing will happened to me. I was shocked and
taken a back by his behaviour, he claims to be a seasoned activist and a
Gandhian, how can he be so cheap attacking my character, using extremely
indecent vulgar language and linking me with male activist, he claims to be
a Gandhian and violently attacked me to snatch my ring injuring my finger.
Is this the real side of social Activism, how shamelessly they talk about
social justice including gender justice and behaving like barbarians?

If Faisal can do this to me a woman what moral right he has to talk about
Irom Sharmilla who is also a woman. And how shamelessly he says that he has
invited women activist to participate in Irom Sharmilla solidarity Fast in
Rajghat on 10th December I leave it to other woman activists to decide even
after this they will join the fast or take action against Faisal Khan.

*I want Justice*

Shahenaz Malek

Ahmedabad

*(My Mail to Faisal and others)*

Faisal

I am completely shocked, outraced appalled and totally in grief and loss
what I heard from some circles in Delhi people told me that you told
Sureshbhai that you chased me away is it true please confirm. If you are an
honest and committed person not a fraud or a racketeer and you always claim
to be a devout Muslim and committed Social activist then can you promise
and take an oath in the name of Allah and the Causes of your Activism the
sequence of the following events:-- Some days ago before the save Irom
Sharmilla Yatra from Shrinagar to Imphal you called me up that you want me
to join the Yatra completely from Shrinagar to Imphal. You also told me
that Sandip told you that I have to be in the Yatra because there has to be
some one who understands the issue, you also told me that you have reserved
my ticket. After that once or twice you called me that I should join the
Yatra you were very insistent. Then in Shrinagar I told you I have some
urgent work in Delhi I may have to visit POSCO area if necessary after
Delhi and I also told you that after reaching Delhi and checking mail I
will decide whether I will proceed onwards from Delhi or if I get mails
about other serious engagements I will discontinue from Delhi you
continuously insisted and pleaded that have to go until Imphal. There are
many witnesses to the Yatra about it and I also told many Yatris about it.
Then when we reached Delhi I checked mail and told you and others that I am
not proceeding because I have some urgent works in Delhi.

Then in the next morning before you people were leaving for Aligarh I
jokingly told you that you will be happy because I am dropping out from
Delhi, then you promised in the name of God that how you like me and how
you wanted me to join the Yatra. Faisal you have to clarify whether you
told Sureshbhai that you charred me or not if that is true  then you will
be proved to be a unscrupulous liar, totally dishonest racketeer who uses
social issues to make a carrier, if what you told Sureshbhai is true then I
ending all relationship with you, I don’t want to meet you in future, talk
to you contact you so don’t talk to me call me or try to meet me after this
if this fact is true then you have totally fallen in my eyes I will never
meet you or your circle in life.

What I heard from Hyderabad was more shocking and unbelievable, I never
thought you would stoop down so law and you are such a dirty third rate
person.

You told Sehnaz that everyone in JNU are talking about Shehnaz and me are
having an affair. I go to JNU almost everyday and I know almost all the
activists and organizations. Nobody told me about it and I haven’t heard
that from any of the gossip circles in different dhabas in JNU. If you are
an honest, decent person and not a fraud I never thought you were such a
sick, indecent, freudal, talibanist degenerate vulgar person. Now let us
talk about some ethics, norms and principles of a modern, decent, civilized
and democratic society.

In a civilized democratic country what happens between two citizens is
their basic fundamental democratic right. It is their right of choice of
friendship. It is on one else’s business to talk about it if they are doing
they are sick, indecent, uncivilized filthy, petty, feudal, patriarchal
Bhrahminical, Talibanist third rate degenerate people. If you also are
taking about it you are also equally cheap, petty, myopic, degenerate, sick
and a third rate feudal talibanist patriarch.

You boast of being a social activist you don’t have minimum common sense
that in a feudal, patriarchal society talking about the affairs of a women
is basically attacking some body’s character to reduce them to second grade
citizen domestic slave with total control over their life and body. People
talking about women are retrograde talibans. How shamelessly you people
degenerate into medieval barbarism.

What I heard next was more appalling and outrageous, I never even dreamt
that you are such a criminal and dangerous beast in Hyderabad railway
station you physically attacked Shehnaz snatched away or Ring tried to
Snatch away her purse and abused her in most filthy vile language. If this
is true then you are a sick, cheap third rate criminal and a beast. How are
you different from dirty acts of the villains of C grade Hindi films. If
you have really done this you have to face the Consequences. Imagine what
would have happened to you and the people associated save Irom Sharmilla
Yatra. If this is true then you are a total degenerate, anti-woman
racketeer who use social issues to enhance their carrier, how different are
you from Congress and BJP mainstream politicians who say something and act
something. If this is true then people who still support you care equally
degenerate racketeers of social issues. How shamelessly you talk about
social issues and
Irom Sharmillaa remember Sharmilla is also a woman and if you have
physically assaulted Shehnaz you have no moral right to talk about Irom
Sharmilla and people who still support you will be complicit in promoting
such a degenerate anti-woman criminal element and a racketeer.

Faisal, if all these are true then you besmirched the reputation of save
Sharmilla campaign in particular and social activism in General. You have
no moral right to be a part of save Sharmilla Campaign or talk an out any
Social issues if you continue to do it you will be a degenerate fraud and
racketeer people who will still supporting you will be equally degenerate
racketeers. Now I really loudly categorically warn you and demanding that
you should publicly apologies to Shehnaz or I am going to write to every
women’s organization, progressive and democratic movements to take action
against you.

Finally if all these is true I don’t want to talk to you or meet you, I
have become allergic to your sight, sound and memory. Please don’t come at
least hundred feet near me goodbye.

Ultimately I really feel pity for you the way you have stooped down so low
and degraded yourself that no amount of networking, Media coverage, awards,
carrier in Social activism can cover this criminal act.

Asit

I am sending copies of the mail to the persons and organization associated
with the Yatra for necessary information and action

c.c.  Shehnaz, Ravi Nitesh, Irom Singhajeet, Sandip Pandey, Arundhati
Dhuru, Shah Alam, Gufran, Shabnam Hashim, Mazher, Medha Patkar, Devika
Mittal,

Note: I heard that Mr. Nasir Siddiqie of COVA was present in the railway
station in Hyderabad and is witness to all that happened there.