[Reader-list] Reminder: ASA Conference, New Delhi, Deadline approaching

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Tue Dec 6 06:20:02 IST 2011

Call for Papers: deadline approaching

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

following our previous email, the deadline for the upcoming ASA conference in New Delhi is approaching. For our panel, 'Screening India through digital image-making', we are looking for presentations that go beyond the formality of the academic encounter and for presentations that directly deal with images. We would like to make this event a productive platform for sharing ideas and works aiming at a possible edited volume.

There will be funding possibilities for participants from South Asia and International Students.

Deadline for Submission: December 7, 2011
Panel Name: Screening India through digital image-making
Panel Number: 20
To submit a paper follow this link: http://www.nomadit.co.uk/asa/asa2012/panels.php5?PanelID=1114
Long Abstract: 250 words
Short Abstract: 300 characters

New Delhi, ASA:
Screening India through digital image-making

This panel explores the role of digital image-making in contemporary India. Bringing recent debates in visual anthropology, in touch with the Indian boom in digital experimentations, it will enquire the extent to which such practices are offering new forms of representing India.
Deadline for paper proposal December 7, 2011.

http://www.nomadit.co.uk/asa/asa2012/panels.php5?PanelID=1114

Long Abstract
This panel seeks to initiate a dialogue between anthropologists interested in digital visual culture and artists entrenched in digital practices in India. Contemporary (visual but not only) anthropology is exploring the ways in which digital platforms and practices are critically intervening in the customary (linear) format of ethnographic filmmaking and also the ways in which art and film do intersect with anthropological interests. Such new perspectives aim at going beyond the ethnographic film tradition and are challenging conventional understandings regarding the meaning of visual anthropology as well as that of images at large.

In parallel to this, India has recently witnessed to a boom of innovative digital experimentations. Ranging from the renowned activities of the Raqs Media Collective (New Delhi), to the experimental digital annotation of Pad.ma (Berlin-Mumbai-Bangalore), the open space for media(tion) of Khetro (Kolkata) digital practices are mushrooming across the country offering a critical revision to the representations and forms that have characterised conventional documentary filmmaking.

Positioning ourselves in the interstices between art, film and anthropology in the context of digital image-making, in this panel we encourage both practitioners and scholars to contribute with presentations which address issues concerning digital practices in contemporary India. Are such practices today offering novel ways of representing India? Are these practices subversive and marginal or are they becoming in a way a new form of hegemony? In particular, we are interested in exploring the triangular relationship between technology, aesthetics and politics. Multimedia or visual contributions are particularly welcome.

The convenors are:

Paolo Favero - Senior Research Associate at the Centre for Research in Anthropology (CRIA) and Associate
Professor at the Lisbon University Institute; Paolo is also a filmmaker and directs the post-graduation in Digital
Visual Culture. He is the director of the film “Flyoverdelhi” and author of the book “India Dreams”.

Giulia Battaglia - Teaching Fellow for the Centre for Media and Film Studies (SOAS, University of London)
and PhD Research Fellow in Social Anthropology (SOAS, University of London); Giulia works on
Documentary Film Practices in India and worked as a filmmaker in collaboration with film practitioners from
India. Along with other academics, she recently curated the festival/conference Persistence/Resistance:
Documentary Practices in India, London, November 2011.

Paolo Favero
Centre for Research in Anthropology (CRIA), Lisbon University Institute
Lecturer ISCTE-IUL
Director of Post-Graduation Program in Digital Visual Culture