[Reader-list] latest CO2 emissions data

Nagraj Adve nagraj.adve at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 10:49:37 IST 2011

I'm surprised China is up 13% from the previous year, given that this
period - 2009- was about the time China too was getting impacted by
the economic crisis and reduced exports to the 'West'. Subsidies and
other fiscal measures to boost domestic spending were yet to kick in.
Need to re-check the 13% bit by going to original data, but it is
still remarkable how China has leapfrogged ahead of the US over the
last 4-5 years in emissions. This is despite the fact that the Chinese
economy is still smaller than the US', even if considered in real
terms.

I forgot to point out yesterday that this data does not include CO2
emissions from deforestation, which is about 4-5 billion tonnes a
year. Much of that is from Brazil and Indonesia. That takes us
actually to 34-35 billion tonnes a year. Oh well...
Naga