[Reader-list] Inviting articles for a series on feminism and education

Chintan Girish Modi chintan.backups at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 13:53:32 IST 2011

From
http://www.genderacrossborders.com/2011/02/16/call-for-writers-feminism-education/

Gender Across Borders and Equality 101 <http://equality101.net/> are running
a series on Feminism and Education on March 28 & 29, 2011 and are soliciting
articles that explore a range of perspectives on the role of feminism in
education. For this particular series, types of education include:
preschool, elementary, secondary, and higher education in countries all over
the world. In addition to soliciting articles regarding feminism in these
education settings, we are also calling for articles pertaining to feminism
in education policy.

Some topics may include:

   - how implementing feminism into curriculum could influence gender
   equality
   - one’s own mini-memoir of feminism and education
   - how global education could benefit goals of feminism
   - educational discrepancies between gender, race, ethnicity, sexuality,
   race, religion, ability, and/or age groups
   - coeducational verses single-sex schooling
   - comprehensive sex education: its goals and age-appropriateness (ie when
   is it appropriate to bring up abortion? sex?)
   - role of Title IX and its effects on girls [and boys] sports in addition
   to self-esteem and confidence

or another topic not listed above.

As someone who hopes to teach high school history in the near future, I want
to understand how feminism can play a role in education. While I am mostly
familiar with education in the U.S., I’m also equally interested in hearing
voices, experiences, policies, and curriculum about feminism and education
from those living outside of the U.S. (because, well, this is a global
feminist blog). Back in 2009, Ashley of Small Strokes wrote in her article,
“Why Feminism Should Be Taught in
School<http://smallstrokesbigoaks.com/2009/08/24/why-feminism-should-be-taught-in-school/>”
that feminism taught in school helps to:

1. ‘Reinvigorate girls’ sense of self-worth and to help pupils think about
the gender implications of their language and image,’ making girls
re-evaluate their role models

2. Girls should not accept sexual assault as something normal

3. Girls will become more confident about themselves, looking up to women in
history who have made a significant change in society and culture as their
role models instead of Britney Spears or Miley Cyrus

How do you think feminism affects education, and vice versa? Submit your
article for this series by Monday, March 14 at 10pm CST!

Articles should be between 300-1500 words and should be well-researched,
although not necessarily academic (as we are a blog, not an academic
journal). To apply, please submit your article along with a resume or short
bio to me, Emily, at emily at genderacrossborders.com by *Monday, March 14 at
10pm CST*. If your submission is accepted, please be prepared to have access
to the internet between March 18-22 for final edits. No prior experience
with blogging or professional writing is necessary.

If you have questions about this series, feel free to contact me at
emily at genderacrossborders.com.

The series will run on both sites, Gender Across Borders and Equality
101<http://equality101.net/>,
on March 28th and 29th.