[Reader-list] Properties of the Autonomous Archive, Public Event: January 7, Max Mueller Bhavan Mumbai

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Wed Jan 5 09:16:45 IST 2011

CAMP, 0x2620 and Pad.ma invite you to:

PROPERTIES OF THE AUTONOMOUS ARCHIVE

A gathering of key internet platforms, archival initiatives and related
infrastructures. You are invited to a full day of presentations and
discussions on Friday, January 7, 2011.

Participants include: Sean Dockray and Fiona Whitton from aaaaarg.org
and The Public School, Peter Sunde Kolmissopi from flattr.com, Kenneth
Goldsmith from ubu.com,  G. Sundar from the Rojah Muthiah Memorial
Library, Amar Gurung from Madan Puraskar Pustakalaya, media theorist
Matthew Fuller, historian Rochelle Pinto,  Rustom Bharucha of the Arna
Jharna Museum,  the Shared Footage Group, Sebastian Lütgert and Jan
Gerber from 0x2620.org,  Lawrence Liang and Namita Malhotra from the
Alternative Law Forum, Shaina Anand, Sanjay Bhangar and Ashok Sukumaran
from CAMP, among other invited observers and participants.

"Show me your Properties!"
Friday January 7,
10:30 am to 8:00 pm.
Max Mueller Bhavan,
Kala Ghoda, Mumbai

Schedule:

10 15 onwards: TEA and COFFEE
10 45 Introduction. Ashok Sukumaran: autonomy and translation
11 00 Pad.ma: people annotate describe make add
11 45 Kenneth Goldsmith: If we had to ask permission, we wouldn't
exist: a brief history of UbuWeb and the law
12 30 Sean Dockray: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG.ORG
 1 15 LUNCH BREAK
 2 45 Shared Footage Group: Its past and future
 3 30 G Sundar and Amar Gurung: Archiving in the vernacular,
experiences from Tamil and Nepali
 4 15 Rochelle Pinto: The mundane state - historians in a state archive
 5 00 TEA BREAK
 5 30 Peter Sunde Kolmisoppi: Flattr, the need for alternative
financial views
 6 15 Matthew Fuller: Two evil media stratagems: structure data & know
your sorts
 7 00 Lawrence Liang and Sebastian Lütgert: Privacy and Scandal: Radia
tapes and Wikileaks
 8 00 CLOSING DISCUSSION

Saturday, January 8
Workshop
(if you would like to attend write to info(AT)camputer.org)

This event is supported by the 50 years of the Goethe Institut in India
program.

PROPERTIES OF THE AUTONOMOUS ARCHIVE

"Beyond the status of the archive as property lie the properties of the
archive, which can destabilize and complicate received notions of
rights."
- from Pad.ma, Ten Theses on the Archive, no. 9.

Not only rights, of course, but ALL received notions. The proverbial
dust of the historical archive, its actual censorious or smiling
archivists, the digital archive's protocols, video codec or "social
network", all of these things crowd the archive, its imagination and
reproduction.  In other words, the archive's real properties tend to
destabilize ideal characteristics we may ascribe to it. And tend to
take us into exciting side-streets of constraint and possibility, often
beyond the motivations or will of authors, rights holders, and even
archivists themselves.

Such a sensitivity towards properties (not restricted to physical
qualities, and extending both the usual sense of property and its
ethical sense as "proper", or propriety) can help express better the
work of the archive in our times, acknowledge its role as "media", and
suggest how its metaphorical and allusive capacities can be made
stronger. That is, how the archive may be related to creative and
artistic practices, which is one of our main intuitions with Pad.ma.
Practices that, in general, are always entangled with the properties of
the materials they work with. So that the focus on footage and not
finished films in Pad.ma for instance, asks for a recalibration of
ethics and politics around film. The discussion that we hope to have
then, is about such qualities and powers of contemporary archives:
including their stable or emergent properties, their performance and
beauty, survival and capacity, and autonomy.

Why autonomy? Or, autonomy from what? Well partly, from the old and
still-valid categories: control by state and corporate interests,
historiography of and by the powerful, and from "subjection" in
general. But also, by declaring that autonomy is a basic, ontological
property of the archive and its contents, atleast two (related) claims
are being made:
1. Materials in the archive are not exhausted by annotations, "users",
or any uses the material may be subjected to. The irreducibility of
materials to narratives means that these are deep reservoirs to which
we and others can return, and from which new ideas, experiences and
effects can continually be drawn.
2. The autonomy of the archive inverts the logic of people as
autonomous (as free consumers, choosers, users) and the archive as
merely a resource, as something to be used. Such an archive then has a
riskier, more open-ended relationship with the future.

"In declaring their autonomy, archives seek to produce norms beyond
normativity, and ethical claims beyond the law." [1]

It is likely that this discussion will take us beyond the metaphor of
the archive, to its roots and branches, its fruits and farms, and to
the ideas and initiatives that now neighbour it, in a changed
landscape. It is clear for example that "found" materials are no longer
found, like objet trouve, as if lying unattended on the road.  Many of
the things we care about or can work with, are to be found in private
or protected territory. But also, increasingly, amidst vast oceans of
digital "raw material", as the Wikileaks example shows us.  In such an
alien (to ideas of culture, or social traditions) landscape, how can
individuals or groups act, what analytical tools or creative
infrastructures can be built, even at our smallest, scrappiest, and
most experimental levels of "making history", as Marx put it in a
related context, "in circumstances not of our own choosing"? [2]