[Reader-list] PUDR statement

T. Vijayendra t.vijayendra at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 18:16:22 IST 2011

Dear all,

It is timely and very correct stand. I fully support it.

Viju

On 04/01/2011, Nagraj Adve <nagraj.adve at gmail.com> wrote:
>                                         Peoples Union for Democratic Rights
>
> Dear friends and comrades,
> The recent countrywide demonstrations against the unfair verdict in the
> Binayak Sen case have been really heartwarming. The demonstrations have
> brought many of us together, who feel enraged and upset over the judgment.
> Clearly, if our numbers continue to grow, we will soonbe in a position of
> strength and will ensure the release of Binayak and manyothers.
>
> The case against Binayak Sen hasbecome a focal point to oppose the attempts
> by the state to criminalise civilrights activities. Yet, we strongly feel
> that in order to make the entire campaign into a success we have to enlarge
> the present focus from the individual,Binayak Sen, to include the
> co-accused, Piyush Guha and Narayan Sanyal, and also take into consideration
> the plight of others who are similarly imprisoned in unfair cases of
> sedition.
>
> Consider the following:
> Piyush Guha, the supposed courierin this case, has never been granted bail.
> He lost his parents in the course ofthese three years but was not given the
> right to even attend to the last ritesof his parents. Piyush was kept in
> illegal custody and tortured for five days and he only produced when the
> Chhattisgarh PUCL issued a statement demandinghis whereabouts. His family
> lost its breadwinner and his wife, Rupa Guha, hasbeen carrying out a lone
> fight for three and a half years. Our efforts in demanding the release of
> Binayak must include the release of Piyush Guha.
>
> Narayan Sanyal, the otherco-accused has been in jail for five years already.
> He is old and ailing and issuffering from a chronic and painful ailment,
> fibromatosis. Despite directivesfrom the court, he has not received any
> serious medical treatment in prison.The argument that his being a Maoist
> ideologue is sufficient to keep him inprison for the rest of his life is
> unfair, cruel and undemocratic particularlysince the other cases in which he
> has been arrested have nearly collapsed. As has been pointed out by many,
> the decision to charge him with sedition happenedonly after the police
> arrested Binayak Sen. Narayan
> Sanyal’s case (even his supposed role in the present one) is a fit case for
> us to ask not only for hisrelease but also to demand a repeal of the ban
> against CPI(Maoist).
>
> Our campaign must focus on demanding the repeal of undemocratic ‘security’
> legislations like UAPA, CSPSA etc or under unfair provisions of the IPC like
> ‘sedition’ (S 124 A) and ‘wagingwar’ (S 121 of IPC) . The most recent
> conviction of Asit Sengupta, editor of the well known journal, World to Win
> is most worrying. Sengupta was arrested by Chhattisgarh police (and
> illegally detained, of course!) in January 2008 and never granted bail.  On
> the same day when Binayak, Piyush and Sanyal were given life imprisonment,
> the same day Asit Sengupta was convicted and sentenced to eight years
> [...]

T. Vijayendra
Phone: 08258 205340
Mobile: +91 94835 83634 (No signal at the farm).
SANGATYA,
10-124, Nakre Village & P. O.
Karkala Taluk
Udipi-576 117
Karnataka, India.
Address for post
c/o Dr. Chhayalata
7-67 P, Jayadurga Compound, Temple Road,
Kannarpady, Udipi 576 103, Karnataka, India