[Reader-list] Rural development has kept pace with urban growth: Narendra Modi

Bipin Trivedi aliens at dataone.in
Sat Jan 15 21:08:44 IST 2011

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/bt/story/11908/1/narendra-modi-on-gujarats-d
evelopment.html

Apart from talking extensively to BT on why Gujarat is a hot destination,
Chief Minister Narendra Modi marshaled the numbers and facts in a set of
written answers to questions emailed to him. Edited excerpts:

Q-1. What do you think differentiates Gujarat from other Indian states when
it comes to the state's economy and doing business there?
Gujarat represents uniformity of development as well as unanimity on the
issues of development. Gujarat is a state where infrastructure development
has kept pace with economic growth, where rural development has kept pace
with urban growth, where satisfaction of workers has kept pace with
industrial growth. Not only have the multinationals and big companies done
well, but a large number of medium, small, rural and domestic ventures have
also prospered. Not only has  industry and agriculture grown fast; but
education and health services have also expanded equally fast. We are known
not only for exporting quality industrial products, but for our agri- and
horticulture produce. Even in those fields where India as a country has not
been able to do well, Gujarat is doing well and producing a model for
others.

Q-2. Every state dreams of infrastructure that compares with the developed
world but Gujarat is perhaps the only state that delivered. How and what are
the best practices that helps your administration deliver this?
Yes, we have been very keen and committed on developing infrastructure. I
personally believe that infrastructure is the enabler of development. There
are a few elements that have helped us: We have vision documents for 20 to
30 years. We plan infrastructure in an integrated manner.
On the one hand we are planning for big and robust infrastructure and on the
other hand we see to it that even the remotest part of the State is
benefited by that. We are aiming to build the best of infrastructure from a
global perspective. For example, Ahmedabad's Bus Rapid Transport System has
not only been a successful story but has been acclaimed worldwide. The new
ports that we are planning to build, the SIRs that we are planning ... all
are globally benchmarked. Gujarat is not only the pioneer in public private
partnership but the state is recognised as the 'Most Admired PPP Enabler'.

Q-3. The Gujarat model of attracting industries is infrastructure-led, not
incentive-led. Don't you think of losing out when other states are also
catching up on infrastructure?
Gujarat's infrastructure has reached to the second stage of development. We
have to worry only about the best quality and global benchmarking instead of
spread of infrastructure. We are now working on more futuristic social and
physical infrastructure.

Q-4. How is the state's 'special investment region' model different from the
industrial estate and SEZ models elsewhere in the country? How did you
develop the model and how do you see it delivering?
>From industrial clusters, industrial estates and SEZs, now we are moving
towards Special Investment Regions, which we call SIRs. These SIRs are going
to be very big in size and scale. We have planned for 12 SIRs, which will be
our flagship development for a few years to come. Setting up of these SIRs
is in tune with the upcoming Dedicated Freight Corridor and the Industrial
Corridor between Delhi 'and Mumbai (DMIC), 565 km of which will pass through
Gujarat. We have enacted a new legal framework: the SIR Act of 2009. We have
already allocated land for the Dholera SIR, which is going to be larger than
the largest in the world. The anchor tenants are also in place.

Q-5. Gujarat's rate of growth in agriculture is running at a record level -
tell us milestone by milestone how this has been possible.
"Gujarat's rate of growth in agriculture is running at a record level.
Gujarat's growth in agriculture has been at 9.6 per cent for the last six
years"Very true. Gujarat's rate of growth in agriculture is running at a
record level. Gujarat's growth in agriculture has been at 9.6 per cent for
the last six years. This is more than three times the national average. This
growth is impressive not only in economic terms, but in terms of finding
solutions to our historic problems in agriculture. Earlier, Gujarat was
never known for its agriculture development. It has been a perennially
water-scarce state marked by recurrent droughts. While we have implemented
macro projects like Narmada, Sujalam suflam, river interlinking, we have
worked equally hard on water harvesting and conservation. Today we are the
only state where groundwater level is rising!
We simultaneously empowered our farmers. Through soil health cards, my
farmer knows which crop to sow and which nutrient to use. We are working
hard for introducing drip and sprinkler irrigation. Today there are villages
in Gujarat where all farms are micro irrigated. We are also bringing more
wastelands under cultivation. The enhanced quality of living in the rural
areas has also contributed to the motivation of farmers, especially the
young generation, to continue farming as an occupation.

Q-6. How much has dairy farming played a role in this?
"I believe that if you set up proper systems of governance, if you have
policy driven governance, if you inculcate transparency in governance, the
speed is a natural outcome and corruption naturally goes"Dairy has been a
traditional strength of Gujarat's economy in general and of the rural sector
in particular. The high growth in agriculture is also partly due to high
growth in livestock output and value addition on the milk products..

Q-7. What are your mantras for quality governance in Gujarat?
I believe that if you set up proper systems of governance, if you have
policy driven governance, if you inculcate transparency in governance, the
speed is a natural outcome and corruption naturally goes. Use of technology
is another key factor. We have introduced a number of initiatives in
e-governance. Our one-day, governance centers are live examples of speedy
and efficient delivery of public services. Besides, simplification of
procedures and rationalisation of tax structures also lead to less
corruption and speedy implementation. More importantly, I gave stability of
tenure to my senior officials, which made a big difference.

Q-8. How do you ensure your team of ministers and top bureaucrats acts
absolutely along the lines that you set them on?
There is only a one liner which we strictly follow: our governance has to be
policy driven, proactive and pro-people. The commitment of the top, if well
meaning, does not take time to percolate. Moreover, we have devised
innovative ways for sharing of ideas and information and evolving common
strategies.