[Reader-list] 20,000 times the long term rate

Nagraj Adve nagraj.adve at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 11:43:26 IST 2011

Bipin, thinking about it in  terms of 'solutions' reduces the enormity
and complexity of the problem. It's like some having a heart attack,
or a very serious heart problem, a crude but reasonable parallel. We
don't ask, "What's the solution?" We do however try to intervene with
urgency. Also, in the case of a serious heart situation, the
intervention is - for those who can afford it - commensurate with the
seriousness and urgency. We don't say, "Take a dispirin', or 'Stop
eating samosas', which is what a bunch of people are suggesting re
climate change (change your lightbulbs, let's get more efficient). We
rush them to a doctor/hospital.

As for 'solutions', I'm an activist, not a magician. Having said that,
for a while now, we have been arguing that there needs to be a
combination of reduced consumption by elites, Indian and non-Indian;
decentralized production and distribution of electricity to the degree
possible; use of renewables such as solar and wind in particular; much
greater promotion of public transport and cutting back on private
transport and flights. How we do this and still manage to generate
employment is one of the many tricky issues involved. Look there's a
lot else, but global warming and whole range of ecological and other
crises that have been spawned by industrial capitalism has further
called into question our entire development trajectory, what is being
produced, how and for whom, urbanization to the degree it has
happened, how our energy is being generated and used, and a whole
range of other questions. We need to foreground the concept of (and
hence struggles for) equity, not only between human beings, but
between current and future generations (who have as much a right to
the commons), and between humans and other species.
Nagraj