[Reader-list] Aadab In A Time Of Allah Hafiz

ambarien qadar ambarien at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 21:42:13 IST 2011

I must say I am going to be very spontaneous in this response. So if it reads too emotional, my apologies. Neither is this any definitive statement. This is a thinking through, something I or rather we should mediate on together.
Some years back my friend Khadeeja Arif and I started a research project with support from The Sarai Independent Research Fellowship.  We named it 'Lives of Women in Jamia Nagar' without realizing that the fragmented nature of material such an inquiry would generate . It lead us to questions of form and the way one frames the question, what one searches for. We have been baffled with the open endedness of the material since and have repeatedly wondered about how to make sense of a material that does not allow a closure this way or that.The stories we collected  were fragmented narratives of muslim women who go about the everyday through a series of well crafted strategies -they wear the burqa when they know they can't get away with it and fling it once they reach the India Gate lawn. Infact, Khadija's thesis film Elsewhere at MCRC follows a girl who works in a salon and leads a comfortably double life. So I have always found it very difficult to
 read the burqa as a sign of pure regression. It is a sign of making do with what you have when you negotiate an increasingly radicalized community on the street. To talk about radicalization, is well another story for another time.The women in their stories talk about the pleasure of duping men who think they can control them by making them wear the burqa.These are stories about women who do not give up the desire to walk the streets or sit in phatphat sewa and see the city just because they are aware of being watched, they negotiate with 'looked-at-ness'. It is there that their struggle lies.So I have wondered how those stories have come to be lost. How can the history of an entire community be decided on the basis of where we stop listening?How can an entire history be one of regression, radicalization and victimization? How can there not be stories of resistance, desire, pleasure seeking and love? Banal stories?Stories keep unfolding but we want
 to make closed narratives out of them. So we pause listening when we get what we want.

thanks, ambarien.