[Reader-list] Cursive being phased out of U.S. schools

Tara Prakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 05:16:07 IST 2011

Motor skills, or lack thereof, is one thing, as a blind person I am one of
the living testaments of liberating properties of the keyboard. Hand writing
is not accessible to the blind, neither as a reader nor as a writer. If you
give a blind person a computer print out, he/she can read it by scanning it
and saving on the computer hard drive. But there is no ocr engine that
recognizes hand writing till now. Still hand writing cannot be wished away
in country like ours where computers are beyond reach of the majority of the
population. So we'll have to live with it, and so we will live with it.