[Reader-list] Mahabharata: The Heroes Within, Workshop with Arshia Sattar in Pune

Chintan Girish Modi chintan.backups at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 22:57:29 IST 2011

>From http://www.openspaceindia.org/engage/current-events/item/716.html
Mahabharata : The Heroes Within

*Whatever is here, is found elsewhere. But what is not here, is nowhere
else…*

And so the Mahabharata begins to capture our imagination, to make an
appearance in our films, on our TV and in our lives as we negotiate and
battle the everyday…

*Mahabharata: The Heroes Within* is an intensive six day workshop conducted
by Dr Arshia Sattar at Open Space.

Through modern films like *Rajneeti *and *Kalyug*, Dharamvir Bharati’s *Andha
Yug *and Bhasa’s *Shattered Thigh*, and of course Peter Brook’s iconic *
Mahabharata*, Arshia will look at the *Mahabharata* as the story of a
journey, the story of love, the story of deceit and the epic story of
brother fighting brother.

Packed with readings, screenings and discussions, workshop participants will
be expected to also read ahead of the workshop – so early registrations are
encouraged. Reading material for the course will be provided by Open Space.

The workshop schedule will be up on the website in a few days.

*Arshia Sattar is an Advisor to Open Space. Arshia has a PhD in South Asian
Languages and Civilizations from the University of Chicago. She teaches
courses on classical Indian literatures for various American universities
and has recently begun teaching traditional narratives for screenwriting
programmes. She has been closely associated with theatre in India over the
last two decades. Arshia’s new book Lost Loves: Exploring Rama's Anguish is
being published by Penguin and will be available later this year. *

*Registration fee* (includes reading material): Rs. 2000

*Venue*: Open Space (Phone No: 020-25457371)

*Time*: 4:30pm-7:30pm

*Date*: 25th June-1st July
*To register please get in touch with Imran at imranalikhan.os at gmail.com*