[Reader-list] Reg: Right to Food - Set 1 - Re-entry

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 13:58:57 IST 2011

Article 4:

Link: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1081017/jsp/jharkhand/story_9979819.jsp

Article:

Hunger death report to reach SC
  SANTOSH K. KIRO

*Ranchi, Oct. 16: *The Jharkhand adviser to N.C. Saxena, Supreme Court
commissioner for food security, would send his report on the alleged hunger
death of eight Birhors in Chatra district to the apex court on Friday.

“I have given the details of my findings in the report,” said Balram, the
state adviser of the apex court’s commissioner on the right to food issues.

Besides sending the report to the SC, Balram has also prepared a list of
suggestions for the state government to avoid hunger deaths.

“However rich a district may be, there are some specific pockets which go
through food insecurity. The government should come out with a list of such
areas and focus for food supply,” Balram suggested.

The Jharkhand advisor of the apex court’s commissioner on the right to food
issues had visited Hindaikala village of Pratapur block in Chatra on October
5 after the death of eight Birhors there. Claiming that the Birhors died of
“hunger”, he trashed the administration’s stand that they died of some
health problems.

Noted economist and National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) activist
Jean Dreze, meanwhile, is expected to arrive here tomorrow to discuss the
deaths of the Birhors and other hunger deaths in the state. He would hold a
meeting with other right to food activists of the state and chalk out a
strategy to mount pressure on the state government to ensure that no one
dies due to lack of food.

“We will call for a state-wide meet to discuss the issues of hunger death in
Jharkhand soon,” said Gurjit, a member of the Jharkhand NREGA watch body.