[Reader-list] Amaranta Nehru's graphic novel 'Where is Ulat Bansi?'

Chintan Girish Modi chintan.backups at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 09:27:18 IST 2011

Some of you may have already seen this. In case you haven't, well, now! :)

Visit the link mentioned below to download the graphic novel.

---

From
http://www.openspaceindia.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=631&Itemid=232

Ulat Bansi, a form of poetry used by Kabir and other mystics, forces us to
re-think everyday conventions...

*Where is Ulat Bansi?,* is a graphic novel by Amaranta Nehru. Here is what
Amaranta says about it:

The poet saint, Kabir has left us words from the 15th century. Most of us
have heard or read some of them. The poetry we are less likely to have to
come across is a category called 'Ulat Bansi'.

'Ulat Bansi' literally means 'upside-down' language. It has similarities in
structure with 'nonsense verse' and the absurd and paradoxical nature of
'zen riddles'. To me, the world of Ulat Bansi seems like a melting pot of
wit, humor, absurdity, unpredictability, wonder and joy. It's more likely
area to find subtle truths than the sanest philosophies and theories. It's
always refreshing, surprising and the possibilities of what you can imagine
with the words is endless.

The brief given to me was to make an introductory booklet to Ulat Bansi. I
designed the book as a ride with a playful, song-like narrative of a girl,
Satli Banu, in a way that echoes the strange logic of an Ulat Bansi. The
book begins with the impossible question of 'Where is Ulat Bansi?' and
points at the futility of the human mind beyond a point. This is something i
awakened to in my interaction with this peculiar poetry and reading Linda
Hess' book 'The Bijak of Kabir'. In the end, the Simpleton/fool is wiser
than the wise and what Satli Banu is looking for is within her own self.

*-- Amaranta Nehru is an illustrator and animator who also does graphic
design, story writing and graphic novels. With her work she hopes to make
her environment more 'wonder'-full, interesting and imaginative. Her work
can be viewed at http://amarantanehru.wordpress.com/ She created Where is
Ulat Bansi? during her time as a student at the Srishti School of Art,
Design and Technology in Bangalore. *