[Reader-list] [Announcements] Fwd: Hu - Voicing our Selves : Workshop in Delhi

Logos Theatre logos.theword at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 09:43:10 IST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arka Mukhopadhyay <arka.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com>
Date: 17 March 2011 15:50
Subject: Hu - Voicing our Selves : Workshop in Delhi

*Hu - Voicing our Selves*
*

"...where ritual and artistic creation were seamless. Where poetry was song,
song was incantation, movement was dance." - J. Grotowski.

A Workshop facilitated by Arka Mukhopadhyay and Saqlain Nizami, with Sibtain
Nizami and Jamal Nizami.

Dates : April 4th to 10th.   Time : evening

Venue : A 105, Defence Colony, New Delhi

"Hu" means 'to be'. But to be what? This workshop is an attempt to ask that
question by engaging with our many bodies - physical, social, erotic,
ecological, theatrical and spiritual.

The workshop is built around the fundamentals of breath, sound and rhythm.
It also makes use of text, theatrical expression, performance, self-work,
ritual and group discussions. Some aspects of the workshop utilize
structured learning and precise, do-able acts, while other aspects are
intentionally unstructured. Greater awareness of one's breath, voice, and
body may and should result from the workshop, but the purpose of the
workshop is not to teach communication or presentation skills in their
functional sense, nor to train participants to be theatrical performers.
Work on breath, voice and body are used as take-off points for engagements
with the Self.

At the heart of the workshop lies an immersion in Sufi Qawwali, as practised
and transmitted by the hereditary Qawwals of the Hazrat Nizamuddin Dargah in
Delhi. This immersion in Qawwali, and physical movements associated with it,
are intended to take us to a heightened state of awareness, where we might
engage with notions of tradition, change, Self and identity in their
personal, spiritual, ecological and socio-political dimensions, to
essentially be able to ask the question, 'who owns my body?'. In response to
this question, though not in an attempt to find an answer, we will travel
through the territories of freedom, choice, responsibility, tolerance and
diversity, through movement, meditation, breath, sound, body-work, theatre
and cultural exchanges, taking a detour through a country called
Rabindranath Tagore.

Fees : A contribution of Rs. 4,000/- is suggested. However, this is flexible
and reductions/waivers are possible. No one who is genuinely interested will
be turned away for financial reasons. Contributions above the stipulated fee
are also welcome from those who are able and willing to pay, to ensure the
work can reach everyone irrespective of financial ability.

For registrations, please contact Arka on 9311689319 or 09831731422 or mail
arka.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com, by the 3rd of March.

About the facilitators : Arka Mukhopadhyay is a performer and writer.
Saqlain Nizami, Sibtain Nizami and Jamaal Nizami are hereditary Qawwals
belonging to the Hzt. Nizamuddin Dargah.

A video from the last edition of this workshop, courtesy Aditya Pathak, one
of the particpants : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cYzvPKJ3AI

Warmth and peace,
Arka

--