[Reader-list] Fwd: (indiaclimatejustice) Petition to decommission Japan's Nuc plants

Nagraj Adve nagraj.adve at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 14:54:30 IST 2011

dear all,

here is a quick translation of the urgent appeal sent from our friends in
japan. It would be great if you could sign on as individual. The petition is
copied below and attached to this email. Pls help disseminate.

To sign on this petition, please send your name and address to
fukushima.hairo at gmail.com Please put “endorsement” on the title of your
email.

---------------
Urgent petition
---------------

Naoto Kan, Prime Minister of Japan

Katsumata Tsunehisa, Board chairperson, Tokyo Electric Power Company,

Accept the request made by the Mayor of Koriyama city and decide to
decommission the Fukushima nuclear power plants!

Appeal:

Immediately decide to decommission all of the 10 reactors of the first and
second Fukushima nuclear power plants.

Background of the appeal:

Masao Hara, the Mayor of Koriyama city, at the press conference in the
afternoon on March 19, 2011, said, it was the outrageous mistake that the
Japanese government turned down the support offered by the United States
which suggested decommissioning the nuclear plants. He announced that he
made a request to the Tokyo Electric Power Company and Mr. Kaieda, the
Minister of economy, trade and industry to immediately take measures to
control the nuclear accidents towards decommissioning the plants.

We urge the State and the Tokyo Electric Power Company to accept the request
made by the Mayor of Koriyama city and decide to decommission the Fukushima
nuclear power plants.

We are worried about the workers who have been courageously engaging in the
operations day and night to suppress the reactors and avert the worst-case
scenario at their peril of being exposed to the radiation at the Fukushima
nuclear power plants which were affected by the recent and continuing earth
quakes.

It has become clear to everyone that as long as the nuclear plants run,
people are affected by the radiation. So many nuclear plant workers have
been exposed to the radiation and some died from the radiation exposure even
when the plants were running “safe”. The people are little known who died
after a long suffering, when the causal link between the death and the
radiation exposure became difficult to establish.

We must now stop our practice: enjoying the “safe” electricity from the
nuclear power plants at the expense of the people exposed to the radiation.

Voluntary group calling for decommissioning the Fukushima nuclear plants
(Japan)

*********

To sign on this petition, please send your name and address to
fukushima.hairo at gmail.com

Please put “endorsement” on the title of your email.

1st deadline: end of March 2011; 2nd deadline: end of April 2011

<http://sigads.rediff.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/www.rediffmail.com/signatureline.htm@Middle?>