[Reader-list] Eid Mubarak: Cross-cultural Image Exchange in Muslim South Asia

Tasveer Ghar tasveerghar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 14:30:17 IST 2011

Dear friends

The festival of Eid may still be a few months away, but as they say,
“May everyday of your life be the day of Eid, and every night, the
night of Divali.” Happy Eid!

Tasveer Ghar is excited to present a new visual essay about the
circulation of images through the Eid greeting cards in India and
Pakistan since the early 20th century till now.

“Eid Mubarak: Cross-cultural Image Exchange in Muslim South Asia”
By Yousuf Saeed

http://tasveerghar.net/cmsdesk/essay/117/

While Eid greeting cards have existed in most Muslim societies, this
essay looks at the production and use of picture postcards of Eid in
South Asia since their early days, to see how they emerged as popular
vehicles of iconography across cultures via the postal networks,
especially defying many stereotypes about Muslims and Islam as they
are prevalent today.

The author, Yousuf Saeed, has been archiving and writing about South
Asia’s Islamic popular culture since many years.

We hope that you have been enjoying the various visual essays
appearing on Tasveer Ghar website so far. Very soon we are bringing
out an edited and illustrated volume of selected essays from Tasveer
Ghar with contributions from many well known authors from all over the
world.

Looking forward to your visits to our website.

The Tasveer Ghar team

--

http://www.tasveerghar.net