[Reader-list] DR SHASHI THAROOR LAUNCHES INSPIRATIONAL BOOK

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Wed Mar 30 09:15:27 IST 2011

‘MY LIFE MY CHOICE’- Book on Mid-life career choices

DR SHASHI THAROOR LAUNCHES INSPIRATIONAL BOOK

‘ MY LIFE MY CHOICE’ authored by Rajeshwari

New Delhi, March 16, 2011: Dr Shashi Tharoor, Former Union Minister of
State- External Affairs &UN Diplomat, today launched an inspirational
book on mid-life career choices titled ‘MY LIFE MY CHOICE’- authored by
K Rajeshwari, Professor, Chennai Business School .The foreword has been
written by prominent businessman and industrialist Captain Gopinath,
while MacMillan Publishers India Ltd is the publisher of the book.

The author of the book, K Rajeshwari, is an alumnus of IIM Ahmedabad
and after spending 15 years in sales and marketing in corporate India
across various companies like HUL, Cavinkare, Nippon Paint has finally
taken up a career in teaching. Her second career was borne out of a
deep self-evaluation process and this book is an outcome of that
process.

The book deals with the familiar question that many of us are faced
around mid life- is this the career that I would like to pursue for the
rest of my life? Or are there alternatives that I would like to
experiment with? ‘My Life My Choice’features real stories oftensuch
people who have moved out of the cocoon of stable, lucrative first
careers and tried something completely new and different around their
mid-life. It outlines the triggers, barriers and implementation
mechanics involved in arriving at such a decision.

Commenting on the book, author K Rajeshwari said, “Middle age is the
time when we re-set the agenda for the rest of our lives; and work
defines a large part of our agenda in terms of who we are. So we cannot
have a fulfilling life if we feel we do not have a fulfilling career. I
sincerely hope this book inspires people to take that first step.”

Launching the book, Dr Shashi Tharoor, Member of Parliament,  said,
“Rajeshwari’s book is extremely relevant in today’s context as the
career opportunities available are aplenty in India. For the country to
progress well, it is important that we contribute significantly in our
careers. And that is possible only when we choose our careers
consciously”.

The book discusses alternative career choices that include politics,
teaching, joining a NGO, starting an entrepreneurship venture and even
getting back to one’s childhood passion. There are respondents across
each of these professions featured in the book. The author states that
the shift may be done for various reasons ranging from a stagnant
learning in the first career  or wanting to paint one’s ambitions on a
bigger canvas or even for personal/family needs. Out of the ten
stories, two are about women who have made the career shifts.By giving
a flavour of the different career options that people take up, the book
aims to give readers a perspective of what a shift means both in terms
of the new career understanding and that of self-understanding.

The book is available both online at www.macmillanindia.com and at
leading book stores in the city. Priced at Rs 345, the book offers a
very practical understanding on a difficult yet relevant topic today-
Mid life career choices.

For more information, please contact:
K Rajeshwari
Author – ‘MY LIFE MY CHOICE’