[Reader-list] Revolts & Rebellions : Arundathi Roy Interviewed by David Barsamian

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Thu May 12 19:30:28 IST 2011

I suppose this is something on the lines of saying that having sweet shops overdo their display of sweets on diwali is a sinister provocation that come from the perverted minds of those who want to see the world's largest population of diabetics suffer. In fact, following this line of thinking, we could say that most upper caste hindu festivals, because of the excess consumption of sugar that they involve are actually perverted instances of auto-genocidial conspiracies.

What I choose to eat is my business, as long as I am not eating another human being. If I choose to eat beef in Benaras or pork in Mecca or Jerusalem, how does it matter, and why should it matter, to someone else who chooses not to eat beef, pork or either. If they don't want to eat beef or pork, they simply don't have to eat it. I make it a point to see that if there are vegetarians or vegans in a mixed gathering, that they can be well fed. To prevent dalit students from eating beef is not very different, in my opinion, from force feeding mutton to a vegetarian. Our moral responsibility towards other people's hunger consists only in that they are not made to go hungry. Not in determining for them what they must or must not eat.

best,

Shuddha