[Reader-list] Citizen Statement on Koodankulam: For your endorsement

asit das asit1917 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:59:05 IST 2011

**

Hi !

Kindly see and endorse the below statement on Koodankulam.

In case you have any suggestions/corrections to offer, please write back.

With best regards,

P K Sundaram

DiaNuke.org

**

*
*

*
*

*Citizen Statement on Koodankulam*

*
*

We are shocked and disturbed by the recent spate of misinformation campaign
launched by the nuclear establishment regarding the Koodankulam nuclear
power plant. Even as the Expert Committee, appointed by the Prime Minister
recently as a result of consistent struggle by the local people, springs
into action and takes into account the views of activists and the Tamil
Nadu government, the AEC and the NPCIL have gone on a media offensive
claiming the protests are triggered by foreign elements. While this is an
affront to the protesting people’s integrity and knowledge and agency, it
is also a clear attempt to undermine the ongoing consultation process. This
is entirely unacceptable.

The AEC Chairman has also tried to undermine the very rationale of the
consultation process by claiming that the Koodankulam reactor cannot be
shut down. Independent experts have questioned the validity of such
pronouncement and have underlined that a ‘hot run’ of the power plant does
not involve any irreversible radioactive process. The PMO’s press release
last month also assured the activists that no radioactive process has been
started in Koodankulam.

There have been precedence, like Shoreham in the US, where nuclear reactors
have been shut down due to public disapproval.

 We urge the government to go ahead with a transparent and democratic
review of the Koodankulam nuclear power project. We also urge the nuclear
establishment to desist from scuttling such process by going to media with
misleading claims.