[Reader-list] My paper in the Journal of Asian and African Studies

Zainab Bawa bawazainab79 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 16:38:40 IST 2011

Dear all,

My paper titled “Where is the State? How is the State? - Accessing Water and
the State in Mumbai and Johannesburg” has appeared in the latest Special
Issue on “Accessing the State” in the Journal of Asian and African Studies.
I’d be happy to share a copy of the article with anyone who is interested in
reading it.

Abstract: This article examines the water distribution systems in
Johannesburg and Mumbai to argue that the political and institutional
contexts of service delivery shape people’s access to the state and its
resources, and also mediation between citizens and government institutions
by councillors. Through ethnographies of water supply and distribution
systems in Mumbai and Johannesburg, I explain how the organizational
structure of the water utility, institutional arrangements of service
delivery, regulatory systems, councillors’ proximity to decision makers and
their relationship with municipal officials, civil servants and party
members variously influence councillors’ mediation capacities and their
ability to fulfil the claims of their constituencies for piped water supply
and connections.

Regards,

Zainab

--
Zainab Bawa
Ph.D. Student and Independent Researcher

http://writerruns.wordpress.com/
... ambling along roads and courses, not knowing whether I am running
towards a destination or whether the act of running is destination in itself