[Reader-list] a public meeting on “ Anna/Anti Corruption Phenomenon: Its implication for Democracy, Civil Society and Policy Making”

Avinash Kumar avinashcold at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 20:30:33 IST 2011

Dear Friends,

On behalf of Centre for Democracy and Social Action (CDSA) , I would
like to invite you for a public meeting on “ Anna/Anti Corruption
Phenomenon: Its implication for Democracy, Civil Society and Policy
Making”, on 13 th . Sep.2011, 2.30 - 5.30PM, at National Foundation of
India (NFI), Conference Hall, Core 4A, Upper Ground Floor, India
Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi

The public meeting is being held in the context of the anti corruption
movement, which has left many of us befuddled. But irrespective of how
we perceived the “Anna/Anti corruption phenomenon”- as a ‘hurrah’
moment for ‘civil society’ or one of alarm or confusion; whether we
watched from the sidelines or participated to negotiate our own voices
and concerns- there is no escaping the larger questions that confront
us in its wake. How do we understand democracy at this juncture in
India -in its procedural and substantive forms? Does leaking of
political power from parliament and institutions of democracy, to the
streets, media rooms and city squares- deepen or weaken democracy? How
do we understand civil society, its role, nature of its mobilization?
Should civil society play an active role in policy making? For many of
us- working with poor and excluded communities, these issues are
critical, and probably far more consequential than one or another
version of the Lokpal bill as an institutional response to end
corruption. The objective of this public meeting is to engage with
some of these questions from voluntary sector/ civil society
perspective; to comprehend how these developments impact the
democratic polity where we work, define our space, make our demands;
to formulate our response.

In a sense, this meeting is a follow up of our earlier meeting on
“Social Action, Civil Society and Democracy in the Times of Anna and
Ramdev ”.And yet with the subsequent unfolding of events, many of
these concerns remain, and have gone deeper and beyond. Attached with
this mail is detailed invite, outlining the key issues that we feel
need serious engagement, and carry immense significance for the
working of “progressive” civil society, and for democracy at large.

The meeting would be begin with a 10 minute presentation –an
analytical documentation of relevant trends of the movement -based on
interviews and visits to the sites of protests in Delhi, scanning of
English, Hindi, Telegu and Malayalam Newspapers; Social media, and
electronic media. This would be followed by 5-6 speakers bringing in
different perspectives - Prof. Neera Chandhoke; Kavita Krishnan; Paul
Diwakar, Shabnam Hashmi; Vipul Mudgal and another speaker (5-7 minute
each). This would be followed by an open free flowing discussion.

We look forward to  your participation in the meeting.

In Solidarity,
Richa Singh,
For , Centre for Democracy and Social Action,
D-7, Terrace Floor, Bhim Nagari DDA Flats, Block C-3, Safdarjung
Development Area,
New Delhi - 110 016. Ph: + 9818908106