[Reader-list] APPEAL TO CONDEMN THE CORPORATE VIOLENCE OF POSCO TODAY i.e ON 26TH SEPTEMBER 2011

asit das asit1917 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 14:42:14 IST 2011

*APPEAL TO CONDEMN THE CORPORATE VIOLENCE OF POSCO TODAY i.e ON 26TH
SEPTEMBER 2011**

*

Dear Friends,

 Today, about 400 armed goons of POSCO attacked our villagers at Govindpur
village with rod, sticks and hand-bombs at 8.30 AM.  In this sudden attack,
more than  30 villagers have been injured including 6 women; two people are
critically injured. These injured are not able to go for treatment to the
nearest hospital in fear of arrest as police has already booked false cases
against them in the earlier incidents.

This is a new trick made by the government and POSCO to enter into our area.
 The government made a plan to build a coastal road along the beach from the
Indian Oil Refinery complex to the port near to our village for POSCO.  As
you  know that we have prevented the entry of the police from the side of
the land mass by peacefully sitting in Dharana, the government is
considering this as an alternative  road to make entry from sea side.  The
construction has been contracted to Paradeep Paribahan, a private company
led by Bapi Circle.  On 19th of August 2011, the government has laid the
foundation for road construction. On 20th of August, around 400 people
including the contractor and workers were proceeding to the site during the
day; our people protested the move and chased them away.

Today,  Bapi Circle who is also known as mafia leader from the ruling party
Biju Janata Dal ( BJD),  brought armed goons from outside the area and lead
the attack . Our villagers are chased with sticks and bombs are also being
thrown on our unarmed villagers. The  leader of the Contractors’ association
has admitted to have attacked the people in front of electronic media.
Police did not arrive in the place. Now, our people are in high alert to
face any imminent attack  by private militia. Our villagers are strongly
determined not to allow the construction of the road.

We request all of you to strongly condemned this heinous attack and expose
this unholy nexus between POSCO and the state government in a strong word.
This is a very planned and calculated move to crush our peaceful democratic
movement against the forceful displacement. The malicious plan of the
government to project all this situation as a law and order problem in the
media and accordingly police will enter in to our area. This is nothing but
a very shameful act of POSCO to terrorize the villagers. We all are
determined to continue our struggle democratically,

We shall inform you the further developments here.

Kindly circulate this mail widely.

In solidarity,

 Prashant Paikary

Spokesperson, POSCO Pratirodh Sangram Samiti

Mobile no - – 09437571547

E-Mail-  prashantpaikray at gmail.com

 Note: Shrimati Satyabati Swain, Aged: 65, went to Kujang Police Station on
27th October to register a FIR against the goons of  POSCO who had attacked
her son Shri Ranjan Swain who’s also a prominent activist of PPSS. Ranjan
was badly injured. The police officers instead of registering her case
arrested her on trumped up charges. This explains the horrors of state
repression in complicity with POSCO.

Please write to the Odisha Chief Minister protesting against this action and
taking action on the POSCO goons.