[Reader-list] Justice Katju-On Gujarat's Development

asit das asit1917 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 13:48:12 IST 2012

                  SATYAM BRUYAT - Justice Katju
<http://justicekatju.blogspot.in/>

                          Thursday, 20 December 2012  On Gujarat's
Development
  I have been asked my opinion about Mr.Modi.Till now I avoided commenting
on him since I thought that my views may be misconstrued as if I wish to
influence the Gujarat elections. Now that the elections are over I may
speak out.

The test of every system is whether the standard of living of the masses is
rising or not. Modi was no doubt successful in projecting an image of
'Gujarat Shining' under him. But the stark reality is very different.

Apart from what was done to Muslims in 2002, let us consider a few facts.

 (1) Child malnutrition at 48 % in Gujarat is higher than the national
average, far higher than the poorest African sub Saharan countries of
Somalia and Ethiopia where the rate is about 33%. When Modi was confronted
with this he said that girls in Gujarat do not eat or drink milk for fear
of becoming fat, the people are vegetarians, etc which is all nonsense.
Should the Gujarati children eat the factories, roads and electricity Modi
has created ?

 (2) The infant mortality rate in Gujarat is 48 per thousand, which is the
10th worst in India.

 (3) More than a third of Gujarat's adult men have a body mass index of
less than 18.5, the 7th worst in India.

 (4) Gujarat has a high maternal mortality rate.

 (5) Education, health and income levels in Gujarat place it after 8 other
Indian states.

 (6) rural poverty is 51% in Gujarat, 57% among STs, 49% among STs, and 42%
among OBCs.

No doubt Modi has given huge concessions to big industrial houses, giving
them cheap electricity, land, etc and has built roads, etc. But what about
the standard of living of the masses ? The figures given above paint a
totally different picture.

I am sure the people of Gujarat will one day learn the truth
  Posted by  Justice Markandey Katju
<http://www.blogger.com/profile/00863856244827322851>  at Thursday,
December 20, 2012<http://justicekatju.blogspot.in/2012/12/on-gujarat-development.html>