[Reader-list] US : An anti-intellectual society

BombayZack@hotmail.com bombayzack at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 26 10:25:05 IST 2012

I don't want this to be a flame war, but for goodness sake --

The link you provided actually VALIDATES the point about the sloppiness.  You don't see that??  He has been appointed to the committee in the COMING congress.  That's in Jan, 2013.  That's 'will be', not 'is.'

Second, a comment on a Slashdot forum is pretty weak, as sources go.  Really.  Your original posting was much more authoritative sounding: America=anti-intellectual -- and here's the proof.  But now that I see your basically forwarding an internet comment I'm amused at how it was able to trigger a reaction in me.  Still, it should have been cited correctly.

Third, your reply --

  > No you are wrong, it is not a case of somebody believing in religion.
  > He would as well deny funds for people maimed for veterans if it fell within his purview.  'christian science' is clearly 'anti-science' .

-- is flat out wrong.  It took me literally 45 seconds to find an example of him voting to expand medical services for maimed veterans --
http://votesmart.org/bill/3247/8019/27097/department-of-veterans-affairs-improvement-act-of-2003#.UNp9I_JuKSo

How can you just make up such things???

Plus, don't you see how wrong it is to say "he WOULD..." -- as if you are all-knowing about his behavior?

You've put me in the uncomfortable position of looking like I'm defending Smith.  I'm not.  I'm defending making your case fairly, objectively, accurately.

As I said, there is ample history of anti-intellectualism but your post and reply does a disservice to making that point.

Regards to all,