[Reader-list] Kiski Kahani Project Lectures -- in Pune

Ujwala Samarth ujwala_samarth at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jul 9 15:57:37 IST 2012

These 3 interactions/talks are part of the Kiski Kahani project of Open Space, Pune (www.kiskikahani.openspaceindia.org):

1. Tuesday July 10, SM Joshi lecture hall, 6.00pm:  'Written on the body: The Ramnamis of Central India' -- Ramdas Lamb, Associate Professor of Religion, University of Hawaii,  explores both the evolution of the tradition and the rise of lower caste religious movements devoted to Ram, specifically the Ramnami Samaj, a dalit religious movement in Central India, whose members tattoo themselves with the name of the god who has been 'forbidden' to them.

2. Wednesday July 11, SM Joshi lecture hall, 6.00 pm: 'Hanuman -- the divine monkey' -- Drawing from Sanskrit and vernacular texts Professor Philip Lutgendorf from the University of Iowa, will deconstruct the role of the divine monkey and challenge the cliché of Hanuman as a “minor” or “folk” deity by exploring his multi-faceted role in our everyday life as he talks about the god that continues to fascinate scholars, wrestlers, healers, politicians, and middle-class urbanites.

3. Sunday, July 15, Moolgaokar Hall, 11 am: 'Copyrighting the ancient' -- Lawrence Liang, lawyer, author and activist discusses how  epic traditions deal with questions of authorship, originality and ownership. How do these traditions intersect with modern ideas of intellectual property? A discussion on copyright.

Please contact Imran Alikhan at Open Space for further details. (020-25457371/imranalikhan.os at gmail.com)

Ujwala Samarth

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -- Annie Dillard