[Reader-list] Maruti: union statement

Sharan Lal sharanlal at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 13:48:34 IST 2012

Anupam,

Cant ban all armies and policing from the face of the earth. Violence by
them is sometimes justified by law, and laws are created by us.

So it is rather simplistic to say not to resort to violence by anyone and
of any sort 'whatever' the cause.

There ARE times when violence is justified, and I say this without taking
sides. It is easy to resort to platitudes TILL you too are pushed to the
brink and resort to violence, sometimes within the legal framework,
sometimes outside it. But both are necessary to the person(s) resorting to
it, hypothetically speaking. A lot depends on what brief and beliefs you
carry in your pocket and in your heart at the given moment.

The question then becomes which violence is 'right' and justified, which is
not. The violence that is 'justified' is defined by the democratic process.
If you believe in democracy and enjoy the fruits of it (along with brick
bats) then you have to sometimes put your personal views aside, and follow
the majority view.

If you do not agree with the majority view, then you have Five options:

1. Join the democratic process and change the majority view if you can.

2. Oppose majority view within the tenets of the law set in place by the
majority view.

3.  Resort to ways and means other than those defined in the law. This
third option comes with a rider - be prepared for being dealt with the law
set by the majority to deal with persons resorting to the third option.

4. Go underground and wage a war against the establishment, and be on the
run (or, conversly, become strong enough to run the establishment over, as
has happened so many times in history all over the world) That is something
that boils down to the individual. Each one of us is different in different
situations. But even to defeat the establishment one needs to win over
people. Because the establishment IS majority, and unless you are Superman
(or the more topical Batman), you cannot take on more than a couple of
people at a time at the most, and you will not stand a chance when you do
not have access to better equipment and pyrotechnics like drones etc. at
your disposal. And if you stay rooteed to the ground and resort to spurts
of violence, you will, finally, be hunted down like a rat and put to sleep,
whether you like it or not.

5. Be a passive bystander and try to contribute to your society(?) in ways
other than those that bring you in direct confrontation with the
establishment or for that matter with those opposing the establishment.

None of the options are any easier than the other, and only in a democracy
does one get five options. In any other form of governance, they become
lesser and lesser.

But the the fact that we have options is worth putting hard work into any
of the five options one chooses as one's calling.

Good luck,

Sharan