[Reader-list] The Duckbill-Caferati Workshop at Prithvi, Deadline for submission, 10th August.

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Sun Jul 29 22:05:31 IST 2012

The Duckbill-Caferati Workshop at Prithvi

Duckbill, in association with Prithvi Theatre and Caferati, the writers' forum, is happy to announce the second in their series of workshops on writing for children.

Location
Mumbai, at Prithvi House, Janki Kutir, Juhu Church Road, Juhu, Mumbai.

Duration
August 25th, 26th, 27th (Saturday, Sunday, Monday), 9.00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m

Number of participants
Maximum 20

Conducted by
Anushka Ravishankar and Sayoni Basu

Scope of the Workshop
Fiction for children; the target ages can be anything between 7 and 14 years. We are not, therefore, working with picture books or YA books.
The workshop is structured to give an overview of contemporary children’s literature, genres and trends, and an understanding of the craft of writing for children. The goal is to enable each participant to explore the kind of stories that they want to tell.
The participants have the option of submitting a synopsis and/or a few chapters of a book they want to write. We will give one-on-one feedback on each submission.
Duckbill would have first refusal on any manuscript originating out of the workshop.

Selection Criteria
We are looking for new, aspiring writers, who have not written/published substantially for children before. We welcome first-time writers, writers who’ve written in other genres or for other ages who’d like to try their hand at writing for these ages and writers who have done some writing for children. This is not a workshop aimed at established children’s authors.
Every applicant will be required to send a sample of their writing, in any genre (could be fiction/non-fiction, for children or adults).
In addition, they would have to send us the name of their favourite and least favourite book for children (only one each) that they have read, with a short note of not more than fifty words each, explaining the choice.
The minimum age for participants is 18 years.

Charges
Anushka and Sayoni are not charging for their expertise. And Prithvi House has generously offered the use of the premises at a token rate.  Caferati does not seek to profit from these workshops either.
But neither Anushka or Sayoni live in Mumbai and they will fly down at their own expense. So we are charging a token fee of Rs 1000 per participant which will go towards paying for the venue and to reimburse our workshop leaders.
The Prithvi Cafe is next door, and participants can go down for refreshments during the scheduled breaks.

How to Participate

Please email your name, age, address, a sample of your writing (between 200 and 1000 words) and a write-up on your favourite and least favourite children’s books (50 words each) to platypus at duckbill.in by 10 August.
You will get a response by 15 August.

Preparing for the Workshop
Participants will be given a reading list and should try to read as many of the books as possible before the workshop.