[Reader-list] Role of sprituality and religion in the life of persons with disability

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Sat Jun 9 09:11:57 IST 2012

Role of sprituality andreligion in the life of persons with disability

Wewould like to share with you all that Brotherhood is organizing a series of workshops on“Role of sprituality and religion in thelife of persons with disabilityand their family in Delhi, Mumbai and Goa.  In Delhi we are organising thefirst workship in collaboration with India International Centre, Delhi on 4 August2012.

Brotherhood is an organization working to bridge the gap betweenpersons with and without impairment living in the society.  Brotherhood is spreading awareness in societyon varioius issues pertaining to disability through “We Care Film Festival ondisability issues and through various interaction programme.

We are planning a series of such workshop aims to act as aninterdisciplinary forum that invites opinion of people with impairment andtheir families, their guardians or their very near and dear ones throughreligious, educational and scientific perspectives. We do not want that peoplewith disabilities should renounce the world in the name of spirituality andreligion but we think that religious and spiritual involvements are often keycomponents of community life, as they can be a source of hope, emotional andsocial support, and a tool for coping.

Spiritual thoughts and awakening can help people withdisabilities in finding comfort in times of isolation and despair. Favourable elementsof spirituality within disability can include hope, adjustment todisability,  creativity, meaning of life, sacredness of life,awareness and acceptance of a situation. One can become more observant andappreciative of each and every day and situation coming ones way.

Workshop wants that persons withdisabilities and their families should understand that life is finite andmortal. We aim at removing negative perceptions like disability is a punishmentor it is a defect or imperfection. We want people should stop glorifyingsufferings and stop seeing themselves as objects of charity.

SatishKapoor                                             Rohit Rellan
Founderand Director                                 Hon. Vice President
Brotherhood/WeCare Film Festival            We Care Filmfest
+9198 994 72065