[Reader-list] VSBM demands for Promotion of Organic Farming in Punjab to tackle Uranium toxicity.

Kabir Khan kabirkhan1989 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 21:53:46 IST 2012

*Press Release *

*Vatavarn Atey Samaj Bachao Morcha (VSBM) demands for Promotion of Organic
Farming in Punjab to tackle Uranium toxicity. *

* *

16/06/2012

* VSBM demands declaration of environmental emergency and implementation of
organic farming to contain uranium toxicity in Punjab. *

On Thursday Union Rural Development Minister Jai Ram Ramesh issued a
statement that Punjab Government is yet to send a proposal on measures to
control uranium toxicity in the state. Uranium had been detected by Bhabha
Atomic Research Centre (BARC) in water in various districts of the state.
BARC had listed Phosphate fertiliser as the source of the uranium. The
Government of Punjab should have acted on this report and stopped the use
of phosphate fertiliser and initiate the process of promotion of organic
farming in Punjab, as had been demanded by the various Environmental
organizations. But till now no such mandate has been initiated by the
government.

The current government had in its electoral agenda declared that it shall
promote organic farming. In addition to that, it has said to have
instituted Organic farming council as a part of State Action Plan on
Climate Change. We are yet to know what kind of functions it is performing.

The people of state demand the government to wake up from the policy
paralysis and initiate the organic farming model in Punjab. We also want
Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) to accept the flaws of the green
revolution model and steer the state towards the sustainable option. We can
no longer hide from the fact that Green Revolution model has brought the
state into the current degraded state.

.

Organic farming doesn’t need the NPK fertilisers, dangerous pesticides. It
is pro- nature, uses lesser amount of water, improves soil health and
promotes biodiversity in which farm based material is used as fertilisers.
Organic farming is labour intensive thus it generates employment. The
subsidy currently being given to chemical intensive farming should be
diverted to organic farming. Within a little span of time we will be able
to produce the crops in same amount and better in quality. We also appeal
to masses of the state to no longer allow their wealth to be spent on
poisoning their own generations.

Government cannot cheat us in the name of food security, when it is not
able to manage the bumper crops which the farmers are producing
irrespective of their harming quality.

Organic Farming or *Kudarti Kheti* is in tune with our cultural heritage of
Punjab, which is for love of rivers, earth and air and also celebrates the
vocation which Guru Nanak undertook .With Uranium and pesticides out,
Punjab state can be released from the toxicity issue.

With deep regards

कबीर/کبیر

Phone: 00-91-85-68-084-079

email: kabi <kabir_khan1989 at hotmail.com>rkhan1989 at gmail.com