[Reader-list] POV Call for Entries 2013: Submission Guidelines

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Thu Jun 21 22:39:36 IST 2012

POV, public television's premier showcase for independent, non-fiction film seeks programs from all perspectives to showcase in its annual national PBS series. All subjects, aesthetic approaches and lengths are welcomed.

Submission Protocol. POV encourages delivering your film online via Vimeo (vimeo.com). When you register and upload your film, make your film downloadable and password-protected. When you complete your online submission form, you can paste in your Vimeo link and password. Though online content delivery at vimeo.com is strongly preferred, POV will continue to accept content delivered on a USB flash drive or DVD. File-Size Restrictions. Your submission must not exceed 1.25 GB in size and must be compressed at 480p (standard DVD compression). We will ask for resubmission of files that exceed these specifications. If you submit a Vimeo link, the file MUST BE DOWNLOAD-ENABLED. If you do not want to download-enable your link, deliver your film on a USB Flash Drive or DVD. Please password-protect your link and don't forget to include the password in the form. If you submit your project on a flash drive, the same 1.25 GB file-size restriction applies.

All submissions must be received by 6pm on  Friday, June 29, 2012 . This is anarrival deadline, not a postmark deadline. Submissions received after June 29 will rolled into the following year's submission cycle unless an extension is granted by POV.

Requirements: The online submission form requires a JavaScript-enabled web browser. We recommend:

Firefox
Safari
Google Chrome
Internet Explorer

Please note: A printer is required to print out two copies of your completed film submission.

If you prefer, you can Download a pdf of the Submission Guidelines. http://cfe.pov.org/POVcfeSubmissionGuidelines.pdf

Eligibility
POV considers work that fits all of the following criteria:

Non-fiction only. Works that integrate some fictional elements or create genre hybrids can be considered. Please do not submit docudramas, reenactments, or performance pieces. When in doubt, please email cfe at pov.org, and include a number where we can reach you.

Works by independent filmmakers. Works produced by filmmakers in association with a station or an organization are acceptable if editorial control was entirely in the hands of the filmmaker. Instructional films, films made for a client, and sponsored films are not eligible.

Works that have not been broadcast nationally. POV expects to provide the broadcast premiere of a program. POV will, however, consider a work when it is of special merit and has had only limited television exposure (such as broadcast on local public TV stations or on cable systems with limited geographical reach).

POV welcomes and encourages submissions from filmmakers worldwide. If your film has not been previously broadcast in the US and meets all other eligibility requirements you may submit your film to POV.

Works released within the past four years. POV will consider exceptional works completed before this date only if they have achieved significant recognition through festivals, awards or reviews. However, the producer or distributor must contact our office to obtain clearance before the work is submitted. Eligibility of films released prior to the four-year cut-off date is solely at the discretion of the Executive Director.

Works that are complete or near completion. POV considers completed work or fine cuts for standard acquisition. The series also occasionally provides limited funds for completion costs such as sound editing, mixing, negative cutting, on-line editing, etc. Co-production funds are available in certain circumstances. Completion funding will be applied towards the acquisition fee for broadcast rights. Samples, assemblies or excerpts usually cannot be considered for broadcast in the upcoming season and should be submitted outside of competition. See "Early Introduction" for details.

Works not previously submitted to POV. Exceptions will be made for work that was previously submitted in non-final form, and for a small number of producers who are invited to re-submit their films. Producers who have been invited to resubmit should call our office before completing their submission form. Producers whose work has significantly changed since the previous submission should contact our office. All other previously submitted works will be disqualified.

Works of any length will be considered. Short films (30 mins. and under) are welcome and encouraged. Please note that producers may be asked to cut works longer than 51:20 to comply with the POV/PBS broadcast format.

Works that comply with PBS underwriting guidelines. For details on PBS National Program Funding Standards and Practices, please visit the PBS web site at www.pbs.org/producers/  .

The Executive Director reserves the right to make exceptions to these guidelines in special cases.

Early Introduction
Early Introduction is NOT for films seeking broadcast or finishing funds. If you are seeking completion funding you should submit under the Completion Fund category and follow the instructions for sending supplemental material.	If you're unsure of where your project belongs please email cfe at pov.org

POV's programming team gets to as many markets, festivals and other industry events as we can. Why? Because we are always interested in what is coming down the pike. We review many projects throughout the year but many of these projects are either in development or too early production to be considered in POV's highly competitive selection process. Many projects we encounter at an early stage will eventually submit through our Open Call.

If you have a documentary project you'd like us to know about please submit under the "Early Introduction" category.

Complete only the section of the submission form that applies to your project's current stage of production (research, development, pre-production).

 Director and producer bios and pertinent contact information are required with any "Early Introduction" submission. You may also submit a treatment, trailer or project proposal in this category. Please specify if you do not want information about your project passed along to other parties.

Early Introduction is not for films seeking completion funding. If you are seeking completion funding you should submit under that category and follow the instructions for sending supplemental material.

If you're unsure of where your project belongs please email cfe at pov.org.