[Reader-list] getting census data

kabi cubby sherman cubbykabi at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 12:14:54 IST 2012

Hi All,

I have a query that I hope some of the researchers on this list can help me with. We are planning a 20 year remembrance of the 92-93 riots/pograms that happened here is Bombay. We are in the planning stages and holding meetings. It will be multi-everything and diverse - oral, visual, audio, active, participatory. inclusive, free-ranging.

One idea I had was to visiblise the ghettoization that had happened in this city - to this city - post-92/93. I want to get the census data from 1990-1 census and the 2000-1 census to see how, by religion, people were in one part of the city and are now in another.

We have searched on the census website and also have spoken to someone from the census office. We can not find the population desegregated by religion data below the district level. For the urban district of bombay, there are sections (see maps below) and only the data that has been generated for these sections is the primary data of population, gender, worker, non-worker. Census office said they do not give data according to specifications.

http://www.censusindia.gov.in/maps/Town_maps/mum_muni_corp_sec.html
http://www.censusindia.gov.in/maps/Town_maps/Mum_%25_slum%20pop.html

Data is raw material and my assumption is that it is public. It is rich in possibilities.

How do we access the data in all its disaggregations? Does anyone have experience in this and can point us in the right direction?

Best,
Kabi

Meter Down - काली पीली की कहानी
blog: http://meterdown.wordpress.com