[Reader-list] Sunday, March 11, 7pm. Two Acts, based on the Radia Tap(e)s.

shaina a kalakamra at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 12:22:59 IST 2012

Apologies for cross-posting.

Two Acts, based on the Radia Tap(e)s.
All are cordially invited.

Date: Sunday, 11th March 2012
Time: 7:00 pm
Place: CAMP rooftop, 301 Alif Apartments, 34-A Chuim Village, Khar, Mumbai.
Directions and Map <http://camputer.org/campstudio.html>

Programme:
An evening of listening, including with our ears, to some materials that
seem to not touch us directly, but make up our "environment".  The question
is how to "tune into" this environment, in ways that the mainstream media
cannot do, and where the data leaks themselves are typically vast and not
easy to assimilate.

7:00 pm
Act I :   Reading from SWEARING-IN-WHISPERS,  a screenplay based on 3 days
of the Radia tap(e)s, prior to the formation of the cabinet of ministers
after Indian general elections in 2009.

8:00pm
Act II : Screening of HUM LOGOS, a 50-minute sound+text film that begins
when top journalists claim that they were just "stringing along" Radia, and
their conversations were not based on reality. This opens up a world of
rhetorical agents: lies, pen-drives, arguments and relays that show us (or
allow us to hear) what both "speech"  and meaning have become, in this
highly mediatised and interconnected environment.

Recently, new claims have been made that the Radia tap(e)s were faked (Vir
Sanghvi),  or that "splice has been added" (Justice Mukhopadhyay).  In both
these presentations, splicing, editing and stringing along are features,
not bugs. In other words, the point is to explore the whole spectrum: from
what an edit can do, to those things one only imagines tinkling in the
background.

See you there!

An ongoing project by CAMP