[Reader-list] Update: Abhay Sahoo released on bail

asit das asit1917 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 13:30:09 IST 2012

Update as on 16th April 2012

Dear friends,

It comes as a matter of cheer that our leader Abhay Sahoo, against whom
false charge of giving protection to an accused in an alleged dowry death
in Dhinkia Panchayat was clamped, has been granted bail by the Honourable
High Court of Odisha, and has been released from Choudwar jail at 5 pm on 14
th April 2012 as per the direction of the lower court. False charges under
SC/ST atrocities Act was also clamped against him by the local
administration. In both the cases he has been granted bail.

After release, Abhay Sahoo thanked all friends and well wishers who have
stood for our cause of fighting against POSCO. It’s a victory of the people
in struggle. We expect Judiciary to stand up to the cause and defend
fundamental rights of citizen.

With the release of our leader, our resolve to fight against the company
and to protect our land and forest is doubled. We will, democratically and
peacefully, continue to oppose any usurpation of our land by company goons
or by the administration.

POSCO Pratirodha Sangram Samiti (PPSS) expresses hearty thanks to our
friends who have stood with us during our hard moments and continued to
support our genuine cause.

In the mean time, the matter of illegal and deceiving arrest of our leader
Abahy Sahoo was raised recently in the United Nations Human Rights Council
(UNHRC) official meeting in Geneva recently by some activist friends and it
has been recorded in the UNHRC minutes.

We seek all your support and cooperation to continue our peaceful and
democratic protest.

Kindly circulate this mail widely.

In Solidarity,

Prashant Paikary

Spokesperson, POSCO Pratirodh Sangram Samiti

Mobile no-09437571547

E-Mail - prashantpaikary at gmail.com