[Reader-list] Google Launches Women Entrepreneurs Initiative in India

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Thu May 10 16:04:20 IST 2012

The times, they aren’t a-changin’. Well, when it comes to women’s equality in the workplace, they’re changing more slowly than they should. What have you heard about the new Women Entrepreneurs on the Web program? Nothing? Google it. I’ll wait.
I name drop the search engine because the aforementioned initiative (also known as WEOW) was launched by Google just yesterday. It aims to provide a more prominent online presence for women entrepreneurs in India using a five circle approach that starts with building a foundation on the Web, catalyzing collaborations and ultimately connecting them with customers. This is purported to result in women’s organizations being elevated and more visible, giving a new spin to the acronym SEO: Search Entrepreneur Optimization, anyone?
According to a press release that hasn’t yet made much of a splash in the news, Google says it “realized that [women] were true entrepreneurs who were not afraid to try new things, yet many were unaware of various products that can be used to leverage the full potential of the Internet… The large number of women entrepreneurs in India made it a natural decision for us to pilot this initiative.”
Co-launched by Pooja Srinivas, an associate manager at Google India, the initiative has already registered several domains this month, including WomenEntrepreneursOnTheWeb.com. (Ownership was transferred to Google once the site went public.)
WEOW is being piloted exclusively in India. Part social network, part support system, it’s built around a community of women-run businesses (or businesses who have at least a female co-founder) to provide collaborative learnings covering various Web technologies, engaging with customers, promoting business and optimizing the online space. Not to mix up brands too much, it’s sort of an eBay for social innovation.
Should this program be brought to America (and with entrepreneurial leadership like the brilliant Marissa Mayer at Google’s Mountain View campus, there’s no reason why it won’t–unless it totally flops), the social media community may find themselves in an interesting situation. How does this come across to you: Is Google hoping to further curate the Internet–from the inside of unique businesses currently offline? Or does this initiative help level the playing field for women entrepreneurs?
I’ll refrain from commenting because it’s just too new and too fascinating in its current nascent stage. I will be following WEOW’s progress, and document developments. Given the smaller scope and scale of so many businesses (especially those founded in rural areas), this could, at very least, bring women entrepreneurs into the building where the glass ceiling is only still cracking.
Frequently Asked Questions

What's the Women Entrepreneurs on the Web initiative?
Women Entrepreneurs on the Web is an initiative aimed at helping women-owned businesses grow their online presence. This initiative is currently being piloted in India.

Who's eligible for the program?
Any woman-owned business in India (whether registered or not) is eligible for the program. In other words, the sole proprietor, or one of the partners / promoters / founders of the business, should be a woman for the business to be entitled to participate in this program.

What will I get when I sign up for the program?
As part of the program, you will learn to use various web-based technologies in your day to day business while increasing the outreach to your customer base. Whether you are a newbie or an experienced entrepreneur, we are here to help.  We’ll share tips and techniques on building an online presence, collaborating effectively, engaging with your customers, innovative ways of promoting your organization, tracking the right metrics, and optimizing your online presence.

I have no experience of the internet. Am I still eligible to be part of the program?
Yes, you are. If you have never been on the internet, we will help you buy a domain, create a website, and build your online presence and show you how you can use this new medium to expand your business.

I don't have a website. How will this initiative help me?
The first circle of the program is to build your online presence. If you do not have a website, we'll help you create one and then take you through the other circles.

I already have a website. How will this initiative help me?
That's great. Now that you have an online presence, we'll show you how to optimize and make the most of it. Googlers will work with you to identify your goals and train you on collaborating effectively, engaging with your customers, promoting your organization and tracking the results.

Do I need to pay anything to be part of this program?
No, you do not need to pay to be part of the program. The only (optional) investment would be purchasing a domain name and Google will facilitate the process with a domain registrar if you need help with this. If you choose not to buy a domain name, we'll help you connect with your customers on social networks or an online video channel and you can still benefit from the rest of the program.

I am an organization working with Women Entrepreneurs. How can I participate in the program?
If you would like your members to benefit from the program, you can either have them sign up for the programindividually or get in touch with us to conduct an on-site training for your members.

I am an educational institution working with Women Entrepreneurs. How can I participate in the program?
If you would like your students/alumni to benefit from the program, you can either have them sign up for the program individually or get in touch with us to conduct an on-site training for your members.

Have questions we have not covered on this page? Send us an email. weowindia at google.com