[Reader-list] UPDATE FROM POSCO PRATIRODH SANGRAM SAMITI (PPSS) AS ON 21st May 2012

asit das asit1917 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 12:13:05 IST 2012

Dear Friends,

On May 16th 2012, when Odisha Chief Minister Nabin Pattnaik was meeting the
CMD of the controversial POSCO project defying the people’s mandate against
the steel project more than 2000 people made a huge protest rally at
Govindpur village opposing the undemocratic, unjust and uncalled for move
of the Chief Minister to entertain POSCO India CMD Yong Won Yoon. We once
gain made our voice loud and clear and our people once again strongly
resolved that we would not allow the government to acquire agricultural
land for POSCO.

We strongly condemn unfair deal between the Odisha government and POSCO
-India on 16th of May to set up an 8 MTPA Greenfield steel plant by
downsizing the earlier plan of establishing a 12 MTPA facility.   This
reflects the Patnaik government’s total contempt for democracy and
democratic dissent by masses on a crucial issue affecting their land, life
and livelihood. The Chief Minster does not have time to discuss with his
own people who are in distress but can afford the luxury of entertaining
foreign representatives to give away rich land and resources at the cost of
the peace and prosperity of people of the land. He is yet to visit the area
ever since the black MOU was signed with POSCO on 22nd June 2005. Instead
of scrapping the ecologically destructive projects, the chief minister is
trying to slap us on our face by announcing that POSCO is going to set up a
training centre at Ersama for imparting skill education for the local
youths in the name of corporate social responsibility. We know very well
POSCO and the state government are trying to hoodwink the people into
believing that the company will provide jobs to the local people.

All these are happening at a time when the mining issue has not been
resolved in the Apex Court and the National Green Tribunal has stopped the
clearance granted to POSCO on flimsy ground. We would also like to inform
you that the Captive Port(Jatadhari) of POSCO which was accorded
Environmental Clearance on dated 15th May 2007 under EIA Notification 2006
has no validity now. The notification says validity of environmental
clearance for Port Project is five year for commencing the construction
activities of project. In this context as no work has been started in Port
Project, hence the environmental clearance of POSCO Port expires since 14th
May 2012 and no further work can be started in Port Project till the MoEF
issues fresh clearance.

However, the release  of Com Narayan Reddy on bail  on 18th May 2012 from a
false case has added more to our strength.

Kindly circulate this mail widely.

In Solidarity,

Prashant Paikary

Spokesperson, POSCO Pratirodh Sangram Samiti

Mobile no-09437571547

E-Mail - prashantpaikary at gmail.com

* *