[Reader-list] appeal to writers and teachers to support campaign for equitable access to learning materials

Lawrence Liang lawrence at altlawforum.org
Sun Oct 21 12:54:43 IST 2012

Dear Friends,

As many of you are aware there is an ongoing case in the Delhi high court which leading publishers like Oxford, Cambridge and Francis and Taylor have filed against a small photocopier and DU.

They have obtained an injunctions against the photocopying of textbooks.

It is clear from DU’s stance in court that they are  distancing themselves from the  photocopier, thus clearing the way for the Court to pass an injunction staying the sale of course packs. It is absolutely critical now  for academics and authors to step up our campaign in support of our students’ access to learning materials:

We  request you to sign the on-line petition against this move and to forward the link widely to authors and academics that you know.
https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/academics-appeal-to-publishers-to-withdraw-suit-filed-against-delhi-university
Some of us will also be intervening in court as teachers. Students too will be filing an intervention.
With warmest regards,

Lawrence Liang and Nivedita Menon