[Reader-list] Job Posting: Project Officer at the Internet Democracy Project

Anja Kovacs anjakovacs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:50:03 IST 2012

Dear all,

I thought some on this list might be interested in the job posting below.
Please feel free to share with others who you think might have an interest.

Best wishes,
Anja

*Call for Applications: Project Officer - Internet Democracy Project
*

The Internet Democracy Project is a relatively new, small initiative that
seeks to make debates around the governance of the Internet intelligible to
broad yet diverse audiences, including policy makers and the general
pbulic. We are currently looking for a project officer to help strengthen
our work in the three broad areas that we will be focusing on in the coming
year: hate speech online and intermediaries; security, surveillance and the
Internet; and India's positions on global Internet governance issues.

 The project officer will be doing research and advocacy work (including
representing the Internet Democracy Project in relevant events) on topics
related to the above mentioned fields. This is often in the context of
current events and will require the ability to respond fast. The project
officer will also be responsible for designing and implementing appropriate
communication and advocacy strategies to disseminate this research, both
online and offline.

*Required skills and characteristics:*

   -

   Demonstrable research and writing skills
   -

   Demonstrable understanding of issues related to the Internet
   -

   Strong sense of social justice and of the potential of the Internet to
   contribute to this

   -

   Strong communicator, able to convey complex legal issues clearly to a
   broad audience
   -

   Media savvy, able to respond quickly to current events and to work on
   short deadlines
   -

   Willingness to blog regularly and to experiment with communication
   methods (experience in both cases a plus)
   -

   Public speaking skills

   -

   Ability to organise events
   -

   Willingness to travel
   -

   Ability to work both independently and as part of a small team

 *Prefered skills:*

   -

   Educational background in law, public policy or the social sciences
   -

   Three to five years of work experience in a position which requires
   comparable skill sets
   -

   Creativity and the ability to think out-of-the-box
   -

   Ability to contribute to overall strategic thinking on the development
   of the Internet Democracy Project

This is a full-time position, until 30 March 2012, with the possibility of
extension. The project officer can be based either in Delhi or in Mumbai.

 To apply, p*lease send your cover letter and resume to Anja Kovacs (
anja at internetdemocracy.in) with a writing sample, video clip or other
illustration of your research and communication skills*. We will start
evaluating applications immediately and will do so until the position is
filled. We would like the candidate to start as soon as possible.