[Reader-list] de-Formalizing Bio-D Conference (Friday) 21st September, 2012

Kabir Khan kabirkhan1989 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:52:01 IST 2012

*De-Formalizing Bio-D Conference *
<https://www.facebook.com/events/279207305513000/>
Public Event · Indian Youth Climate Network & Kunzum Cafe

https://www.facebook.com/events/279207305513000/

   -
      - Date: 21st September, 2012, (Friday)
      - 6:00pm until 7:30pm
      - Venue: Kunzum Cafe, Hauz Khas, New Delhi.
      -
   India is hosting Convention on Bio-diversity Conference of Parties 11 in
   Hyderabad. Most of the discussion has been very formal around the same. We
   in Indian Youth Climate Network feel that we should de-formalize the high
   level event for every one to understand and participate.

   To initiate the conversation there will be screening of international
   Green Oscar awarded documentary "Shores of Silence" which lead to whale
   shark conservation legislation all over the world, made by Wildlife
   enthusiast film make
   r Mike Pandey.

   Shores of Silence: Whale Sharks in India is a landmark film by Mike
   Pandey which brought about major legislative changes to protect whale
   sharks worldwide. This documentary depicts the needless killing and
   harvesting of whale sharks by poor Indian communities. In response to the
   film, the Indian government introduced legislature to ban fishing of whale
   sharks, declaring them endangered species and protecting them under the
   Wildlife Protection Act of 1972. This gives whale sharks equal status to
   other endangered species such as tigers and rhinoceroses. Internationally,
   the film helped to bring the whale shark global protection under CITES. The
   film won 11 international awards including The Wildscreen Panda, also known
   as the Green Oscar.

   Post Screening we will have a discussion with prospective panelists Ms
   Shalini Bhutani (Kalpavriksha), Ms Kanchi Kohli (Kalpavriksa) & Gautam
   Pandey (Wildlife Film-maker, River Bank Studio) to share insights, help
   de-formalize the Bio-D Conference, and inform about conservation efforts in
   India.

   Contact for more details
   कबीर/کبیر

   Phone:00-91-85-68-084-079