[Reader-list] Fw: [GulabiAdda] Release: Breaking The Binary: Sat 27th April, SNDT Juhu at 3.30pm

kabi cubby sherman cubbykabi at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 10:18:07 CDT 2013

apologies for cross-posting

but please do come.

best
kabi

Meter Down - काली पीली की कहानी
blog: http://meterdown.wordpress.com
podcast: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/meterdown

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Raj <rajvi.connect at gmail.com>
To: gulabiadda at googlegroups.com
Sent: Saturday, 13 April 2013 11:37 PM
Subject: [GulabiAdda] Release: Breaking The Binary: Sat 27th April, SNDT Juhu at 3.30pm

-We invite you to
the release, sharing and discussion of the report

Breaking
The Binary
Understanding
concerns and realities of
queer
persons assigned gender female at birth
across
a spectrum of lived gender identities

A study
conducted by LABIA – A Queer Feminist LBT Collective

Saturday
3:30 pm
to 7:30 pm
Mini
Auditorium,
SNDT
Women’s University, Juhu Campus

In 2009-2010, LABIA
initiated a research study based on 50 life history narratives of queer PAGFB
(persons assigned gender female at birth), and aided by discussions with queer
LBT and trans* groups. 11 of us (many of us
members of LABIA) did the interviews, transcripts and initial analysis, and 4
of us have been doing the further analysis and writing.
Key findings have
been presented at different conferences and some of the data has been
published. Now we bring you the  full report.
Through this study,
we explore the circumstances and situations of queer PAGFB who are made to, or
expected to, fit into society's norms around gender and sexuality. We look at
their experiences with natal families and in school; we chart their journey
through  intimate relationships and jobs; we attempt to understand what
happens to them in public spaces, and how they are treated by various state
agencies; we discover where they seek and find support, community, and a refuge
from the violence and discrimination that mark far too many lives.
Most significantly,
this research has given us new insights into gender itself, which we feel are
crucial additions to the current discourse in both queer and feminist spaces.
Finally, the study flags areas of particular concern, and highlights some
necessary interventions.
We ourselves are
amazed at the richness and complexity of our findings and are impelled by the
need to share these as widely as possible with all queer and feminist groups
and individuals, activists and academics, all people working specifically with
LBT persons as well as broadly in the areas of gender and sexuality -- and of
course all  of us who are interested in knowing more about our selves.
So do join us for
an intense, engaging, stimulating afternoon of presentations in English and
Hindi, with time for questions and discussion (and most certainly for tea and
snacks).
Hoping very much to
see you there, and looking forward to your comments and feedback!

Chayanika, Raj,
Shalini, Smriti
and all of us at
LABIA – a queer feminist LBT collective