[Reader-list] [Announcements] The Imperialism of Categories: Situated Knowledge in a Globalizing World (Golden Jubilee lecture by Susanne Rudolph & Lloyd Rudolph)

Praveen Rai praveenrai at csds.in
Fri Feb 1 15:21:15 IST 2013

Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
invites you to Golden Jubilee lecture

*The Imperialism of Categories: *

*Situated Knowledge in a Globalizing World***
by* Susanne Rudolph & Lloyd Rudolph*

*Yogendra Yadav* will Chair
Monday, 11 February 2013, 6 pm
CSDS Seminar Hall
29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110054

The Rudlophs recall themselves as being part of a wave of comparativist
political scientists who had been energized in the 1950s and 1960s by
decolonization and the proliferation of new nations that followed. As they
share, “We imagined we were plumbing the true underpinnings of the recently
launched Indian experiment in democracy. What we hadn’t counted on and what
we gradually came to realize was that American ideology, particularly the
universalism and individualism of America’s hegemonic Lockian liberalism,
had shaped the concepts and methods not only of survey research but also of
the then prevailing Parsonian structural-functionalism of modernization
theory.” Their lecture explores how western, particularly American,
ideology contributed to an imperialism of categories in western social
science research about India.

Susanne Hoeber Rudolph is Professor Emerita of Political Science,
University of Chicago, and past President of American Political Science
Association and of the Association of Asian Studies. A recent publication
is the co-authored three volumes *Explaining Indian Democracy: A Fifty Year
Perspective.*

Lloyd I. Rudolph is Professor Emeritus of Political Science, University of
Chicago. A recent publication is the co-authored *Postmodern Gandhi and
Other Essays: Gandhi in the World and at Home.*

Yogendra Yadav is a Senior Fellow at CSDS.

Praveen Rai
Academic Secretary
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29, Rajpur Road
Delhi - 110054
Phone: 91-11-23942199
Fax: 91-11-23943450