[Reader-list] Fwd: Talk by Arjun Appadurai:Participatory Corruption in Neo-Liberal India - Feb 8 , 2013

Shilpa Phadke phadkeshilpa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:35:01 IST 2013

Urban Aspirations in Global Cities

A collaborative project of

Tata Institute of Social Sciences,

Max Planck Institute

and

Partners for Urban Knowledge Action and Research

invites you to a talk titled

 Participatory Corruption in Neo-Liberal India

 by

Prof. Arjun Appadurai

GODDARD PROFESSOR OF MEDIA, CULTURE AND COMMUNICATION AT NEW YORK
UNIVERSITY AND TATA CHAIR PROFESSOR AT TISS

on

 Friday, 08 February 2013

 At 4.30 pm

Venue: New Conference Hall, Library Building, Main Campus, Tata
Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai

 ABSTRACT:

The last few years have seen a wave of anger among the broad Indian
middle classes about corruption in government and politics. I argue that
since corruption has always been a part of the political economy of
Indiaq we need to address what is new about the recent period. I suggest
that what is emerging is a new tension between what I call traditional
or vertical corruption and the globalized mega-corruption of the era of
liberalization and globalization. This tension has led to a new
democratization of the means of corruption as well as growing resentment
among those who are excluded from its benefits.

 PROFESSOR ARJUN APPADURAI is Goddard Professor of Media, Culture and
Communication at New York University and Tata Chair Professor at TISS.
He is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, has served
as advisor to UNESCO, the World Bank, and many other organizations. He
is the author of numerous books and articles on globalization, Indian
society and history, as well as on media and globalization. His most
recent book will be published in March 2013 by Verso (UK) under the
title THE FUTURE AS CULTURAL FACT: ESSAYS ON THE GLOBAL CONDITION.

"URBAN ASPIRATIONS IN GLOBAL CITIES" is an international collaborative
project in which researchers from TISS, Mumbai, Max Planck Institute
(MPI), Germany and Partners for Urban Knowledge Action and Research
(PUKAR), Mumbai, are working together. The project aims to compare
post-colonial mega-cities in Asia, including Mumbai, Singapore and
Shanghai, and understand how the urban community of rapidly growing
mega-cities impacts the development of urban aspirations.