[Reader-list] Preserving the Commons

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 21:15:19 IST 2013

http://beta.bodhicommons.org/article/preserving-the-commons-an-editorial-note

\quote

A most unfortunate turn of events has unfolded over the past couple of
days with The Mathrubhumi Printing and Publishing Co. Ltd. filing a
complaint with the District Police Chief, Kozhikode City, regarding an
article published by Bodhi Commons. The article in question,
“Mathurbhumiyile nadukadathalum madhyamangalile swathanthryavum,”
published on January 17, 2013, dealt with protests by journalists
against the attitude of the Mathrubhumi management to Majithia wage
board reforms and the alleged victimization that ensued.

Bodhi had published this article which was originally carried by
several Malayalam portals given its general relevance to the public
and Bodhi’s objectives. First and foremost, we saw this as a workers’
struggle that pitted the interests of journalists against the
interests of capital as represented by Mathrubhumi management.
Secondly, we saw this as deeply interlinked with the crucial question
of concentration and corporatization of media ownership in these
neoliberal times. On both these counts, Bodhi as a platform that
strives to promote left-progressive politics, found this article
worthy of being carried in our portal and we did so after a democratic
editorial team review.

In the meantime, we have learned that other web portals who had
published this article have also been served notices of police
inquiry. Given the request to remove the article, we decided to
undertake a full editorial review as outlined in Bodhi’s editorial
policy. At the conclusion of the editorial review, we have decided to
retain the article with some modifications to reflect our editorial
mandate and review guidelines. We are hopeful that this article gains
broad readership so that these crucial issues that concern public
interest are discussed and deliberated upon with all the seriousness
that it deserves.

On the other hand, we are concerned that following up on this initial
police inquiry, draconian laws may be invoked in order to suppress
freedom of speech. Mathrubhumi, as a publication, has stood for
democratic ethos and fought state repression even in the darkest times
of Indian democracy. It is deplorable and ironic that a media
organization like Mathrubhumi, when confronted with charges of
trampling on the basic workers’ right to unionize and demand higher
wages, chooses to invoke draconian laws to muzzle freedom of speech,
which it claims to uphold and protect.

The people of Kerala have a rich history of actively resisting
attempts to curtail workers’ rights and freedom of speech; this is
indeed part of our cherished commons. We request all proponents of
democracy in society to come forward and stand in solidarity with
those who are facing repression. We are confident that together, we
shall resist and defeat such moves to imprison thoughts and monopolize
our commons.

\unquote

Best

A. Mani