[Reader-list] What Good are the Humanities for Development Studies: Golden Jubilee Lecture by Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak

Praveen Rai praveenrai at csds.in
Fri Jul 26 00:48:22 CDT 2013

Dear Tanveer,

Please put the notice (given below) in the Sarai newsletter.

Thanks

Praveen

Centre for the Study of Developing Societies

invites you to a Golden Jubilee Lecture

* *

* *

*What Good are the Humanities for Development Studies*

by* Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak***

* *

*Rajeev Bhargava *will Chair

Monday, 5 August 2013, 6 pm

CSDS Seminar Hall,

29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110054

Please join us for tea at 5.30 pm

The proper training of the Humanities is our best weapon for producing
problem-solvers rather than solving problems. If they are acknowledged as
imaginative activism, rearranging desires, building the possibility of
constructing self and world differently as objects of knowing, producing
the intuitions of democracy outside of the demands of electoral politics;
the power and difficulties of the task emerge.  To implement this is an
uphill road, since the priorities for developing societies seem to be
located elsewhere. My paper will consider this problem as practically as
possible, considering, along the way, such typical criticisms as
individualism, mere liberalism, etc. I will be attentive to the fact that
this Center has successfully studied “Development” for half a century.

*Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak* is University Professor at Columbia
University. Her latest books are *Other Asias* and *An Aesthetic Education
in An Era of Globalization. *She has 5 honorary doctorates. She is the 2012
laureate of the Kyoto Prize in Art and Philosophy. She trains teachers and
guides ecological agriculture in western Birbhum district in West Bengal,
India.

*Rajeev Bhargava *is Director of the Centre for the Study of Developing
Societies.