[Reader-list] Fwd: fast by himansu kumar

Asit Das asit1917 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 02:47:06 CDT 2013

#India -an Appeal From Tribal Activist Himanshu Kumar: On Atrocities,
Self Reflection

Rate This

[image: An Appeal From Tribal Activist Himanshu Kumar: On Atrocities, Self
Reflection And More]

Posted on: June 2, 2013
-Youth ki Awaaz

Translated from Hindi by Akhil Kumar <http://www.akhilboxer.com/>

Self-Reflection Fast: How should
India<http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.6133333333,77.2083333333&spn=10.0,10.0&q=28.6133333333,77.2083333333%20%28India%29&t=h>Behave
With Its Tribal Population

Dear friends,

A large number of army troops are being sent to the tribal
areas<http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.0,70.1666666667&spn=1.0,1.0&q=33.0,70.1666666667%20%28Federally%20Administered%20Tribal%20Areas%29&t=h>to
establish peace.

Whereas past experience tells us that the entry of the army troops in
tribal territory has never decreased unrest but escalated it instead.

For a long time now, the tribal people
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribe>have faced oppression from the
government. And if any one of them asks for
justice against this oppression, they are branded as
Naxalites<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naxalite>and tortured again.
The government has thus closed all doors of Justice for
them.

Soni Sori <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soni_Sori>, Linga Kodopi and Binayak
Sen <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binayak_Sen> were a victim of government
tyranny because they raised their voice against this injustice. We know
that the educated and prosperous urban class of India does not see anything
wrong with sending the army in large numbers to tribal areas in order to
occupy the resources of the indigenous people.

Also, there are talks of using force to suppress the dissatisfaction caused
by displacement due to this plunder of resources. But if India keeps
killing its citizens like this, it will result in the moral degradation of
the Indian community that holds power.

India will have to think, as a nation, on how should it behave with its
native inhabitants.

Do we approve of occupying the lands of the tribal community on gun point?
Do we believe that we can bring peace to the country after burning their
villages, driving them out of their homes and occupying their land?

If once we get habituated to doing injustice to our own citizen, wouldn’t
it make way for us to do it to everyone else tomorrow? Today, we will
attack the tribals, then we’ll kill
Dalits<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalit>and go on to kill our
villagers and then, one day, we will find ourselves
surrounded by enemies that we created ourselves.

Hence, we need to review our behavior towards the tribal people as soon as
possible.

It is my humble effort that we use this opportunity to ponder on this issue
that how should the tribal people of this country be treated. To self
introspect on this issue, I am sitting on an indefinite hunger strike from
1st June and I hope that you, wherever you are, will also introspect on it.

This is not just a question of the tribals but a question for all those who
want to build a better society, where everyone gets justice because it is
impossible to even think of peace without justice.

Please do visit Jantar
Mantar<http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.9245714194,75.8242571361&spn=0.01,0.01&q=26.9245714194,75.8242571361%20%28Yantra%20Mantra%29&t=h>if
possible, we will be pleased.

Yours