[Reader-list] MARUTI SUZUKI WORKERS UNION

Asit Das asit1917 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 03:30:20 CDT 2013

*MARUTI SUZUKI WORKERS UNION*

*Reg. No. 1923*

*IMT Manesar, Gurgaon*

*Ref. No.
G/6/13
Date: 23/06/2013*

* *

Friends and Comrades,

18th July will mark a year of this phase of our movement when we have been
tempered in the hearth of struggle against exploitation and repression.
While earlier from June 2011 we have been forced to struggle against the
anti-worker policies of the management of Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. Manesar,
in the entire period of this last year, we have had to struggle against the
countless instances of the entire government machinery acting in collusion
with the management to repress our interests and voice.

18th July marks a year without behind bars for our 147 brothers who are in
Gurgaon Jail. Not a single one of them have been granted bail either in the
lower or High Court which rejected our bail plea on 22nd May 2013. It marks
a year when 66 of our brothers have been continuously witch-hunted with the
sword of non-bailable arrest warrants. It marks of disregarding our appeals
for an impartial investigation into the unfortunate death due to conspiracy
of the pro-worker manager, Shri Awanish Kr Dev, and against all
constitutional norms, of painting us as criminals and ‘ultras’ without any
fair hearing to us, at the tune of the propaganda machine of the company’s
version of events.

It marks a year when 2300 of us have been forced out of our jobs without
any enquiry, for merely raising our voice against injustice done to us. It
marks a year thus, when thousands of families have been devastated
economically socially for the mere crime of raising our voice for our
legitimate rights. While we have adopted all available peaceful,
constitutional and democratic means to raise our demands, it has marked a
year of government insensitivity, nay repression, on our legitimate demands.

18th July also marks a year when no *dharna* or rally or even mere pamphlet
distribution, all within ambit of our democratic rights, have been allowed
in the industrial area of Manesar. This area has been turned into a
militarized zone where workers can be exploited at will and the capitalists
can openly flout all labour law norms of the country. This is the
exploitation of us and all workers in the area especially the contract
workers, against which we had dared to raise our united voice for which we
are being punished. After the 57-day *dharna* and 8-day hunger strike in
Kaithal, Haryana on 18-19th May, we and our family members and sympathizers
were brutally lathicharged and 111 arrested, of which 10 workers and trade
unionists and sympathizers still languish in Kaithal Jail. We are now not
even been allowed any space to put up a *dharna* under the pretext of this
being ‘against public interest’.

In our General Body meeting on 23rd June 2013 in Gurgaon, we the Maruti
Suzuki Workers Union have decided to mark this 18th July with the call of
‘Manesar Chalo’. To make the deaf ears of the government hear, we will mark
this date by starting an indefinite sit-in demonstration and hunger strike
in Manesar. We will campaign throughout this month leading up to 18th July
across Haryana, and take the struggle to the centre of struggle of our
worker brothers and sisters in Manesar, Gurgaon. We appeal to workers,
organizations and all sections of society to join us on this date in
Manesar and organize solidarity actions before and on 18th July across the
country, so that we can register the united voice of workers, and other
sections of society.

Inquilab Zindabad! Mazdoor Ekta Zindabad!

Provisional Working Committee

*Maruti Suzuki Workers Union***

*
*