[Reader-list] Fwd: High regard for Italy’s support to its marines

T Peter peter.ksmtf at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 05:36:18 CDT 2013

High regard for Italy’s support to its marines

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/high-regard-for-italys-support-to-its-marines/article4566321.ece

IGNATIUS PEREIRA

The kind of support that the Italian government continues to extend to
the marines, Massimilano Lattore and Salvatore Girone, has evoked a
sense of awe among many in Kerala.

They are facing murder charges for shooting and killing two Indian
fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15, 2012.

The general perception was that the Italian government’s support for
the marines was just initial enthusiasm and it would wane.

But finding that the backing had remained consistent, even gaining
strength, many here ask whether the Indian government would have acted
in a similar manner if its defence personnel had found themselves in a
similar situation.

Ravi’s stance

Union Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi said the
Italian government was doing what a responsible government would do
and there was no doubt that the Indian government too would act
likewise had any of our defence personnel been in a similar situation.

He said he appreciated the Italian government’s support to its marines.

Former Chief of Indian Navy Admiral Sureesh Mehta said the support
being given by the Italian government to its marines was
“extraordinary”.

It showed that they took great care of their citizens, especially when
serving personnel got involved in cases like this while on duty.

The question whether the Indian government would act similarly in a
similar situation was hypothetical, he said.

K.N. Balagopal, Rajya Sabha member and leader of the Communist Party
of India (Marxist), said Italy’s support to the marines was something
that had to be appreciated.

“That support smacks of an agenda not to respect the sovereignty and
judiciary of our country. It reflects the colonial attitude of the
European countries,” he said.

The marines were not on military duty when the incident occurred since
they were protecting a commercial ship. Therefore, the Italian
government’s support to the marines was debatable.

A model to emulate

Former Union Minister and BJP leader O. Rajagopal said he did not see
any fault in the kind of support the Italian government extended to
the marines. It should be a model for the Indian government.

“Very often the stand taken by our government in similar situations is
very unfortunate. The attitude seems to be apathetic. And in this
particular issue our government is yet to put its foot down and ask
Italy to start respecting the law of our land,” he said.

‘Uncaring’ attitude

T. Peter, secretary of the National Fishworkers Forum said all
Italians could take pride in the support their government extended to
the two marines.

“There is no precedence to show that the Indian government had acted
similarly. The BRICS summit provided an opportunity for our Prime
Minister to present the facts about the killing of the two fishermen
at an international forum. But he failed and this shows the kind of
uncaring attitude of our government towards the fishing community who
acts as eyes and ears for the nation while out at sea,” he said.

http://www.keralafishworkers.in

http://www.alakal.net