[Reader-list] Fwd: (indiaclimatejustice) Fwd: [sanhati] Arbitrary Arrest of our leader Mr Abhaya Sahoo on 11th May 2013

Asit Das asit1917 at gmail.com
Sat May 11 06:03:06 CDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Asit Das <asit1917 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, May 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Subject: (indiaclimatejustice) Fwd: [sanhati] Arbitrary Arrest of our
leader Mr Abhaya Sahoo on 11th May 2013
To: indiaclimatejustice <indiaclimatejustice at googlegroups.com>

From: alter nate <noposco at gmail.com>

Dear Friends,

We strongly condemn the arrest of our leader and president of PPSS Mr.
Abhaya Sahoo this morning i.e.  on 11th May 2013. As you are all aware
50 cases had been filed against him at different stages of the
movement and all the cases are blatantly false and fabricated. The
district administration and police were after him as the movement
instead of withering away under severe repression has gathered more
momentum. Abhayji has been taken to Kujang jail in Jagatsinghpur
district of Odisha.

We understand that this is part of a larger game plan to destabilize
the movement and  force the project on our unwilling people. Earlier
also Abhaya Sahoo was arrested in 2008 and was kept in jail for 14
months. Mr. Sahoo was again implicated in another false case leading
to his incarceration from 25th November 2011 to 14th march 2012.

Every time when Abhayji was arrested the movement got further
strengthened and our people threw up more leaders with solidarity from
you all.

We have been informing you that our life has been severely disrupted
since the state government signed the said project with POSCO. The
police force has been using coercive measures to suppress our
constitutional right to dissent. We have been peacefully resisting all
types of criminal forces for more than eight  years, but ironically
hundreds of cases are being lodged by the police against us. Our
protesters have been murdered by bomb attacks, assaulted by hired
goons and beaten by police-all done by at the behest of
administration. Local authorities ignored our demands for recognition
of our right to the land. Instead, armed forced were engaged to
silence our voices.  Till now more than 200  false cases have been
registered against our villagers by the government, 1500 warrants have
issued out of which 340 are women.

Our people are unable to go out and receive treatment because of the
threat of arrests. None of the cases has any basis and all are
fabricated by the police to keep our people inside jail for as many
days as they think by doing this they could spoil our democratic
movement. The government of Odisha has been clamping false cases
against anyone trying to oppose POSCO, It is matter of regret that all
the actions till date by the government of Odisha against us is
totally unjustified as the entire projects stands on shaky ground.

We call for all the Jan Andolans, People's organisations, Political
parties, activists, intellectuals and people at large to condemn in
strongest possible terms this cowardly and undemocratic act of the
administration. We appeal you all to demonstrate and demand immediate
release of Abahya Sahoo. Also please lodge your protest near the
following authorities.

Let me assure that our people will put up a more determined resistance
and what they all need is your continuous support and solidarity.

Kindly forward this mail widely.

Hoping for Solidarity.

Prashant Paikaray
Spokesperson, POSCO Pratirodh Sangram Samiti.
Mobile no - 09437571547
E- mail- prashantpaikaray at gmail.com

You can call and write to the following :

1. Mr. Naveen Patnaik
Chief Minister,  Odishas
Tel. No.(O) 011 91 674 2531100,011 91 674 2535100,
011 91 674 2531500, Epbax 2163
Tel. No.(R) 011 91 674 2590299, 011 91 674 2591099,
011 91 674 2590844, 011 91 674 2591100,
Fax No- (91)6742535100
E Mail: cmo at ori.nic.in

2.  Dr. S. C. Zameer, Governor of Odisha,  Fax No-
(91)6742536582

3. Shri B K Patnaik, Chief Secretary, E-mail: csori at ori.nic.<
csori at ori.nic.in>
Phone no - 0674 - 2536700
0674 - 2534300
0674 - 2322196
Fax No - 0674 - 2536660

3. S.K. Mallick , District  Collector, Jagatsinghpur, Contact number
09437038401,   Fax no - : (91)6724220299

4. Superintendent of Police, Satyabrata Bhoi, Mobile no-09437575759, 0624-
220115,  dmjsp at ori.nic.in

5. Dr Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India
Tel no-+9111-23016857
e mail: manmohan at sansad.in

6. Sonia Gandhi: Tel Phone no - (91)11-23014161, (91)11-23012656, Fax-
(91)112301865, soniagandhi at sansad.nic.in,

7. Chairperson, National Human Rights Commission of India, Faridkot
House, Copernicus Marg, New Delhi 110 001, Tel: +91 11 230 74448, Fax: +91
11 2334 0016, Email: chairnhrc at nic.in

8. Shri. V.Kishore Chandra Deo
Minister of Tribal Affairs
Ministry of Tribal Affairs,