[Reader-list] A Short Course on Experimenting with documentary by Juan Orrantia

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Wed Sep 25 08:02:41 CDT 2013

Goa Center for Alternative Photography presents
A Short Course on
Experimenting with documentary
 by Juan Orrantia
This 3 day workshop will introduce elements of contemporary documentary photographic practice. Drawing on both the history and practice of visual anthropology and experimental documentary, we will engage photography from, and as, a critical perspective. This means we will approach representational strategies that are critical and aware of Eurocentric, Western or neocolonial categories. We will emphasis on sensorial forms of knowing, being and communicating as channels of critical engagement with our surroundings. As such, the relationship between photography, sound and video will be explored both from conceptual histories, as well as media perspectives. We will revise some major works in the field such as those by Chris Maker, Robert Gardner, as well as contemporary photographers whose works upsets traditional documentary approaches. The workshop will have hands-on practical exercises.
COURSE DURATION
4- 6 October, 2013
TIMING
10.00 am to 5.30 pm
COURSE VENUE
Goa Center for Alternative Photography (Goa-CAP),
House No. E2 / 268, Dongorpur (Royal Village),
Near St. Alex Church, Calangute, Goa, India.
www.goa-cap.com
COURSE FEE
Rs.8000/- (for Goa-CAP members it is Rs. 6000 /- only)
FOR REGISTRATION
Kindly email at: goacap2011 at gmail.com
APPLICATION DEADLINE
1st October, 2013
Juan Orrantia (b. bogota, colombia), Based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Working in the documentary arts, his practice is based on the evocative possibilities of photography as a critical form of documentary. He also explores the medium in its relation to text, sound, ethnographic film and new media. He have been interested in questions of memory, history, dislocation and time, through projects on the aftermath of violence (Colombia and Mozambique); postcolonial cities and nostalgia;  autobiography and the Colombian cocaine trade;  and more recently, the anticolonial thinker Amilcar Cabral and his traces in Guinea-Bissau.
Awards include the Tierney Fellowship in Photography (2010) as well as various grants and residencies at research institutes, and have held solo exhibitions in Germany, Colombia, and South Africa, as well as participated in various group shows including the New York Photo Festival, Le Cube (Paris), Cape Town Month of Photography, Bonani Africa Festival of Photography, and Ethnographic Terminalia (New Orleans). His work has appeared in publications such as Sensate (A journal for experiments in critical media practice), Visual Anthropology Review, Iconos, and online platforms such as Foto8, Documentography, and F-Stop.
W: http://orrantiajuan.wordpress.com/